Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Good question. Seems the big names in struts sell them as inserts instead of the complete unit. You would need to swap the new inserts into your old legs. It's easier to buy a brand that sells them complete.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
For those kinds of prices you'd probably be better off looking at good coilovers. That Holmart link is a sale price too, maybe they're trying to move on as much stock as they can given GM's current state.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
If Fsd's are going on a wagon, they need a 16mm bump stop extender for the rear (which I wasnt told when purchasing). Imo, FSD's turned my SS into a bad handling, bouncy POS, not even suitable for a Calais. There's a reason they are not listed officially for wagons by Koni. Yellows for the front are all that are listed, no listings for the rear. I cannot wait to get them off the car.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Surely those premade front legs can't be worth $800 approx more?

Given that I already have these premade legs, wouldn't I just get the inserts?
With premade front struts, you are paying for the cleanup, painting, modification and installation of the new inserts into some old struts. You'd get a guarantee on the whole strut assembly (which would include workmanship and the insert itself)...

If you're handy with tools, obviously you can do such work yourself. Whether you consider it better value simply depends on how you value your time verses the "premium" being charged to have them supplied complete...

But like you, i must be miossing something. I'm not seeing the "adjustable" aspect of the Koni insert on the photos for those premade asemblies, so not sure what that mob will actually supply... I've seen adjustable shocks with an adjustment knobs on the bottom, side or top of the strutt but within the pictures provide thoses inserts don't show anything adjustable... so i'd be suspicious of whether they mean rebuildable rather than adjustable... Something to ask them...

As to how good the strut inserts will be in your case, like anything suspension, it all depends on matching spring rates with rebound and compression daming rates given the weight of your car and the desired wheel control... Adjustable damping makes it easier to fiddle within the limits provided and get things to 100% BUT such can't overcome very poor spring and damper choice to begine with :p

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Good point, I don't need the adjustable aspect of it but how could you adjust the koni front inserts anyway?
The likely method is an adjustment rod that runs down the center of the strut shaft. It can either be turned via an attached knob or directly via a spanner if a knob wasn't included. But i didn't see such a mechanisnm on the linked pics... You'll see such an adjustment rod at 0:23 sec within the linked youtube video above.
The questions still remaining, should I get bump stops which I am leaning towards given the fact that I'm a big boy and when fully loaded with bed, dog, roof racks, pod, she is going to be under pressure.
Just keep in mind that if a vehicle is loaded to GVM, it shouldn't sit on the bump stops as that would cause suspension damage if you drive it in such state (and that's why its illegal/unroadworthy as well)..

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited: