Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what is the meaning of GU4

joely1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais 5speed
gu4 designates ratio not type
mines gu4 lsd

i have a vn calais v6 with a genuine 5 speed and lsd standard and the code says gu4, wen the cars jacked up i can spin te wheel and they both go in the same direction, which i thought meant it is an lsd?

spacman

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Calais
confused

I have a 1991 VN SPac and 1993 VR Executive which both has a GU4 diff in them. Does that mean that i can swap them over?

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 VH SLX, '08 Prado Grande
Re-digging this thread to say I'm looking at a mates VX SS right now an it's stamped 'gu4' and it most definitely has a factory original LSD.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive read through the different option codes for the commodore from various places and web sites,and the GU4 axle option has always meant that the rear axle ratio is 3.08,its never mentioned whether its LSD or not.It only ever mentions the ratio....Id say it just stands for the ratio only.You can get 3.08 ratio in LSD or open wheel diffs.If its LSD it will have a tag on the diff housing stating the fact.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
My wagon is GU4 and it has lsd with the tag (its in the shop now getting checked prolly needs a rebuild)

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
GU4 is 3.08:1, GU7 is 2.78:1, GU8 is 3.90:1.

There's more, they're just off the top of my head. It only refers to the ratio. Those codes have been in use long before the Commodore was released.

bruceynz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden Calais
VIN decoded by Holden

Hi All,

I see this thread is over a year old but here is the vin for my Calais decoded by Holden, note GU4-G80 = 3.08 and G80 = LSD by the look of it.

VIN.jpg

Thanks
Bruce