Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What I've been told isn't a problem (COOLING SYSYEM)

Coro

Reaction score
Members Ride
199 Holden VT berlina
So I've had my 99 VT for just under 4 years now the temp gauge has always sat between 1/4 and 1/2 whether at highway speeds or sitting in traffic.

Until recently I've been having the temp gauge rising to 1/2 and even maybe a mm or 2 above. The thermo fans are kicking in which I can hear them going but it seems as though it takes them forever to bring the temp back down to normal. As soon as I get back up to speed and air starts flowing through, the temp drops back down to normal pretty fast.

I've had the heater tap replaced as it was leaking, I've had the radiator/heater core flushed and bled, radiator cap has been replaced but is still occurring.

The mechanic I take it to has told me to pretty much not worry about it as it's common for the temp to climb while sitting in traffic, but it's something my car hasn't done before and I think there's something wrong.

Any knowledge/advice/opinions will be considered and appreciated .

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Is this with the aircon on or off?

If it is with the aircon off, switch it on and see what happens then.

Ours is the same, aircon on, temps are very stable (this is because the low speed thermofan is running a lot more to cool the aircon system condenser regardless of engine temp), switch the aircon off and the thermofan won't kick in till 104° C which is just over half on the temp gauge if I'm not mistaken.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Remember that the condenser is in front of the radiator and is first in line to catch all the bugs and crap.
It could be that the condenser is gunked up and not allowing sufficient airflow through to the radiator.

Coro

Reaction score
Members Ride
199 Holden VT berlina
Does it matter if the aircon is set on cold or if its the heater on warm? not too sure sorry, ive been driving with the heater on and this is still affecting the temp, I'll turn the aircon on cold on the way home to see if there's any difference.

I haven't given the car a clean for a while, would a waterblaster be alright to go straight onto the radiator?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
pull up the digital temp gauge and see what it does (it's in the Mode+Up menu) imo it is not normal for the VT to fluctuate much at all.

Coro

Reaction score
Members Ride
199 Holden VT berlina
no it's not mpower, as I've said, I've had the car for a while now and know when it's acting normal. my heart skipped a beat the first time i saw the temp gauge hovering at the half way mark.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
honestly I'd be thinking that maybe the pump is on the way out, how long since the thermostat and coolant was changed, heck might even just need a bleed - how does it go on an incline?

before summer in your position I'd be considering a pump/thermostat/coolant/hoses/thermostat housing refresh, on the V6 most of this is cheap and easy to do.

Coro

Reaction score
Members Ride
199 Holden VT berlina
I've had the cooling system flushed, fresh coolant added and bled only last week as well as a new hose.. not sure which one.

What do you mean by how does it go on an incline?

I've had the waterpump replaced a couple of years ago and unsure on how long ago/if the thermostat has even been replaced.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
if you go up a hill does the gauge rise - that indicates an air pocket and a bleed is required.

if the water pump got done a "couple" of years ago it SHOULD have had the thermostat and housing done at the same time. The way you are talking the thermostat could be sticking and not opening when it should.

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
I'd be voting thermostat. An easy and cheap change on a VT.