Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What makes a good driver?

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
Just got very frustrated talking to a female 17 year old learner friend of mine. who tries to tell me "I hate people who cant drive for ****" .

I respond saying youve been driving for 12 months and you obviously are in no condition to judge seein as your mum has to sit with you when you drive.
I then asked her if she considered herself a good driver. "of course", was the answer i got. I closed my eyes and shook my head. that over self confidence i can bet will be the cause of her first and maybe last accident. I gave her a scenario saying could you do a reverse parralell park on a busy city road with driver honkin you and gettin frustrated? her response was, "Im a good driver not a good parker"

Frustrating to think she'll be able to think for herself in 1.5 ton of steel In just over 12 months.

So I ask all of you. what makes a good driver? Ive looked around and its interesting to see people responses. All of them very different. So, What makes a good driver??

(FYI I dont consider myself a good driver I know Ive got alot to learn and want to develop my skills to become a great and safe driver)

Commotoro

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
A good driver is someone who follows the road rules all the time and provides a comfortable ride to their passengers, takes no pointless risks, treats their car with respect minimising wear and tare and is confident in all situations. My mates and i used to think that it was realy cool to race, do burnouts and generally drive like hoons. I woke up to myslelf in time and realised my commodore was infact a family car and was not built to handle, one of my best mats still thaught his VS was a drift machine. He over corrected, crossed double lines and put two people in hospital.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
A good driver is someone who follows the road rules all the time and provides a comfortable ride to their passengers, takes no pointless risks, treats their car with respect minimising wear and tare and is confident in all situations. My mates and i used to think that it was realy cool to race, do burnouts and generally drive like hoons. I woke up to myslelf in time and realised my commodore was infact a family car and was not built to handle, one of my best mats still thaught his VS was a drift machine. He over corrected, crossed double lines and put two people in hospital.

Very true, I almost crashed into a pole, the rear stepped out and only just held it. really woke me up to slow down.
From when i was riding, The only way to survive was basically everyone was out there trying to run you down, And as said by Commotoro - follows the road rules all the time and provides a comfortable ride to their passengers, takes no pointless risks, treats their car with respect minimising wear and tare and is confident in all situations. Also throttle control. not having to go near the brakes, esp when i use to ride, have to ride like you dont have brakes, as there are useless due to no tread on the road.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
i would define a good driver as someone who knows whats going on around them on the road, ie: will that car continue swerving when i get closer? or will that P-plater slam up my ass if i need to brake quickly? They can read the road and the drivers around them

They follow the speed limit when its safe to do so, not necessarily all the time, if there is a clown on the road its safer to break the law for 10secs and speed, they will. They know that if they need to take a risk, 1, their car can do it safely. 2, they see/know all possible senaros/outcomes

They note what the car is doing, reacting, responding, they monitor engine gauges. They keep left when not overtaking and keep a safe distance.

Generally just being totally aware of your car and surroundings.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
i would define a good driver as someone who knows whats going on around them on the road, ie: will that car continue swerving when i get closer? or will that P-plater slam up my ass if i need to brake quickly? They can read the road and the drivers around them

They follow the speed limit when its safe to do so, not necessarily all the time, if there is a clown on the road its safer to break the law for 10secs and speed, they will. They know that if they need to take a risk, 1, their car can do it safely. 2, they see/know all possible senaros/outcomes

They note what the car is doing, reacting, responding, they monitor engine gauges. They keep left when not overtaking and keep a safe distance.

This is almost exactly what I had in mind. Now I don't have to type it up

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
The way I see things, you could be an excellent driver, yet still make mistakes. Hell, look at Peter Brock, he was considered a perfect driver, not only did he have an accident, but he lost his life. Also another example is Eric Bana - Anyone who's seen "Love the beast" will know what i'm talking about.

southy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Suzuki Swift GTI

I totally agree with you there with driving deffensively, if someone is being a clown they will read the road and whats going on and either hang back or get out of there..

Im an L plater as well (hopefully not next week) and if someone had asked me the same question the answer would be, I can drive but no i am not a "good" driver as i have only been driving for 12 months and know only a little bit of how a car will react and so on in a dangerous situation, will my car be able to do that safely etc

But i would identify a good driver as a person who would not take risks without a valid reason, wouldnt put other driver or road users at risk, monitor everything that is going on and just obey the road rules..

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship

That pretty much covers it. It's all about 360 degree awareness, and knowing what every other idiot is going to do.

Being able to handle your car, and being able to handle other road users, are two very different things.

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.christielynphotography.com
Members Ride
08 VE SSV Sportswagon & 03 VY S Pac

Agree with the above.