Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What motor will fit in my 1982 vh commodore wagon sl vacationer

kane_coro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX series 2 SS 6 speed,VK Royale 308,VN V6 Ute
Im going through the same thing at the mo,have ben offered a 308 with flat top pistons and a few other goodys for 400 bux.But its in a wb statesman.Is there much to be changed about to get it into a vk?

kane_coro

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think is turbo pattern however wana go manual anyway,either celica box or t5.Which is the best option?Whats the diff between the v6 an v8 t5s?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

kane_coro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fair enuf,thanks for your help.Ill keep thinking.All this stuff seems to be getting fairly hard to find over here

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
yeh the 308 is looking to be a good option i dnt have the 253 or the 350 as yet they were just good options if i was to get the 308 with the trani and all that how much would i be looking at spendin??

Seriously dont even consider the 350 cause they are a real pain in the ass to get to fit right not to mention it will cost you between $1500-$2500 for k frame spacers, extractors, sump, mini starter (if you dont want power steer) or left to right starter conversion plus remote oil filters (if you want power steer) you would also need small bodied distributor like a msd to clear the firewall, spacers for the steering shaft. for the best fit you would be wanting to change to a vl k frame and steering rack as they leave more room for the extractors. then ad to that you'll NEED to run straight gas/lpg and remove the fuel tank and lines otherwise it would never get registered.

For simplicity i would go for a 308 backed by either a th350 or trimatic depending on if you get a turbo or tri pattern motor. all parts are off the shelf type and its an easy job really.

your wasting your time putting in a 253 cause the 308 has so much more potential for future mods and its the same fitment.

mondy888

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh commodore sl vacationer
ahk yeh the 308 is sounding alright also i know this is a bit annoying but i was even considering a v6 conversion since im gonna be on my P's any idears on that??

tigervh

SS.....smokin....!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tiger Mica EFI VH, VZ SS, XC Barina SRI
I think is turbo pattern however wana go manual anyway,either celica box or t5.Which is the best option?Whats the diff between the v6 an v8 t5s?

The celica boxes won't handle the torque of the 5 litre, the best option if going Toyota is the supra oval case if the torque levels are close to standard or the supra turbo box if significantly more than standard.

V8 T5s have a different spread of ratios and input shaft to the v6 ones.