Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What octane fuel do you use?

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Fuels used =my Buell = ( bought new ) has never seen anything but 98 = easy but 11ltrs to reserve = even on tour ( not hangin about , but not goin stupid ) = 9 ltrs =to about 230 klms average!!!
CV8 = not sure what it's tuned for but run at least 95 and just just hold off a bit .
96 Maloo = tuned for 98 , but do run 95 = just again hold back a bit.
Daily = a Focus ST = they recommend 95 = lowest it's seen .
Mower/whipper sniper= 4 stroke and 2 stroke , always ran 98 but bought a new Stihl combi , ( replace the old one = about 17 years old) - they go don't use 98 = best use 91 with an fuel preserver= let you know = hopefully in 20 years= ha ha.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I use BP Ultimate 98 for everything even my lawnmower

P

Pauldw500

Y
well thats the manual just thinking if ur the auto the rpm limit may be different

I use BP Ultimate 98 for everything even my lawnmower
That's a couple of ppl recommending BP and I have one locally and I collect their points so it makes sense. I'm unning on fuel fumes atm so will fill up with 98 and see how we travel...

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
flex fuel 95 / E85 / 98 tuned
(E85 not used much 5 times in 10 years)
(E10 / 91 not used)

First time with E85 tuned very fast my god.

AJS000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota GT86 (Previously VE SV6)
The octane rating really only is the fuel's anti knock ability.

Higher the octane The more advanced the timing etc and the more power you can make.

It's why some people get their cars tuned for 98 or so. Meaning they're risking knocking running lower octane ratings.

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
98 & E85 - 98 always BP or Caltex, E85 just whatever brand they sell at the track
Have had the car tuned for Flex and the goodies that go with having to get enough E85 into the engine to make it worthwhile. Never had an issue with 98 "gelling" though the car can, at times, sit for 4-6 weeks unused. Advised by my tuner that I shouldn't let the car sit for periods with just pure E85 as it can be tough to do a cold start during winter (simply top it up with 98 and the mix will alleviate that issue).

ol smokey

Reaction score
Members Ride
'82 VH wagon, '97 VT wagon, now '17 SS VF2 wagon
Attached is from the owner's manual for my MY17 VF2 6.2L wagon, I've only ever used 95 and it runs fine:

Attachments

• fuel.jpg
    fuel.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 72

Gotta_Drive_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 HSV Clubsport R8 LS3 E3
My mechanic who is one from car carby days states that E10 is yes definitely a lower octane but is in no way a "dirtier fuel". In fact ethanol is very clean but unfortunately it is also classed as a solvent which means if you have any crap in your tank, which most do, it will dissolve and passed through the engine and ultimately end up on the valves. A new or newish car running E10 should have no problems provided the tank, lines and filters are relatively clean. Ultimately which RON rated fuel used will directly reflect km/l, the higher the better but does the cost offset this?. That is when you really need to look at the price difference between low and high octane fuel to see if your getting value for money. Example: 91 fuel is $1.80/litre. You put in 50 litres and get 400km, your 400km cost $90. So that equates to 4.4km per dollar.
98 fuel is $2.20/litre, 50 litres cost $110, but you get 450km. This equates to 4.1km per $, so in fact the lower octane is better value. Actual performance will increase with higher octane fuel but value for money may or may not really depending on the difference in price and distance achieved using the same amount. Keeping in mind that you will always get more km with 98.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
I solely run 98, mine is getting tuned for 98 as we speak. If you get a 98 tune the cost compared to 91 is about the same.
Hey what results do you think are achievable by doing this? I'm interested as I am an always BP Ultimate user...

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
98 in everything from my cars and bikes (which are all tuned to run on 98), the Mrs ASX and the lawnmower (I class the ASX in the same book as a lawn mower)

But then some people also say that I over service my car, every 5k km, and use oils that are more expensive than necessary

But then some people also say I use the wrong weight oil, HPR10

As for what RON to use, I wouldn't use E10 in the Mrs ASX, but she does and the car seems fine with it, albeit a slow gutless dog

But any modified car that gets leaned on, I wouldn't go less than 98, in saying that, a "untuned" car that states it can run E10 or 95 I would use less than 95

Isn't E10 91 RON?

As for E85, if there was E85 in every petrol station, on every major hwy in Australia I would go "flex fuel". But, as I take everything I own on long trips around Australia, both cars and bikes I cannot justify the outlay for what I use my car for, hell, even finding 98 can be problematic on occasion if you don't plan your route and fuel stops

And there no way in hell I'm driving around with E85 jerry cans inside a sedan
images.jpeg-30.jpg

BUT, if I tracked my car regularly then planning the whole build around flex fuel would definitely be high on the check list priorities

Opinions may vary