Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What oil to buy now 10w 40 full syn Nulon is NLA?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@Smitty was the amalgamation at the same time Nulon moved to the new range?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
LS love Penrite. So do BMW and Mazda. HPR5 the world. Nulon is fine, just doesn't have the longevity of Penrite

I stock up whenever it's on a decent special, which seems more than enough to keep up with demand. Ten Tenths.... now that stuff is never on special

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Looks like I'll be switching to HPR10 once my stocks run out.

I heard a while ago Hi Tec which pretty much all the garages locally use, is or was made by Nulon. Not sure if that's accurate or not?

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Looks like I'll be switching to HPR10 once my stocks run out.

I heard a while ago Hi Tec which pretty much all the garages locally use, is or was made by Nulon. Not sure if that's accurate or not?

I run hpr5 5w40 in mine. Runs beautifully.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I run hpr5 5w40 in mine. Runs beautifully.
I was using a 5w and it was burning about a litre or so between services. I switched to 10w and barely use 500mls.

What mileage you on?

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
I was using a 5w and it was burning about a litre or so between services. I switched to 10w and barely use 500mls.

What mileage you on?
230,000km. Mine doesn't burn oil, but then again i give it new oil and a filter every 3000km or 6 months, whichever comes first, so if it does burn oil, it's stuff all.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
230,000km. Mine doesn't burn oil, but then again i give it new oil and a filter every 3000km or 6 months, whichever comes first, so if it does burn oil, it's stuff all.
Mines at 236k I think. Oil changes every 10k.

Plan was to do the diff every 10k as well but not sure if that plan will ever line up.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've been able to score the last available 10w 40 Nulon in the state. It's only a five litre, so with what I have in the shed I may be a litre short for two more oil changes. No one litre bottles in the state either so I may have to top up the last bit with something else. I have enough for one oil change. No 5w in the state either, unless I buy the new product. When the time comes I might just use a bit of Penrite to make up the 8.5L I will need.

In the future I might even use a mix of 10w and 5w Penrite. I used a mix last time and it seemed to work quite well. Good thing about 5w Penrite is I have seen it at a decent price at Autobarn and sometimes SCA. A mix of 10w and 5w seems to work quite well with oil consumption too, ie it doesn't use much like it did with straight 5w.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It doesn't make any sense re your experience with w ratings. This only pertains to the winter rating (cold start kinematic viscosity) and the difference between a 5w and 10w only really affects folk on startup who might live around the Arctic Tundra. I'm guessing it's more likely these are different formulas, which can account for consumption

I wouldn't go into using Penrite with preconceived notions. HPR5 is the one you want, it's a different formulation to the 10 and your probably not wanting a 50 weight on your big ends just yet. I wouldn't mix them either

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Castrol Magnatec
hades-am-i-right.gif