Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what oil to use in my vx 5.7

corza3

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
ive recently changed the oil in my vx calais 5.7 using castrol edge 10w-60 but since i have done that its seems to be making tapping sort of noises, im thinking the oil is a bit to thin for it, i would like to keep using castrol edge just wondering what grade i should use, the car has 150,000kms, and also wondering what products to use for the rest of the service, ie spark plugs, air filter etc, thanks

Lazza78

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HBD LS1, VL calais project
hey mate, when i first got my vt ls1 i put Penrite HPR 5 in it.. was very noisey... next change i tried HPR 10 and could still notice it... and i been using HPR 15 ever since and its all good... my vt has 164k on the clock... when it came for plugs, leads n air filter i got hold of oem AC delco plugs from a guy on ebay, alot cheaper then bosch or ngk(i work for supercheap auto and even with my discount i saved 40 bucks by gettin them off ebay) leads i used NGK and the air filter i have a reuseable air hog filter...

this is only what i use mate as a bit of an idea for u...

Cheers

Larry

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
the reason the engine is tapping is because the oil is way to thick for ur engine. gen 3 is meant to use 10w-30 oil.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
the reason the engine is tapping is because the oil is way to thick for ur engine. gen 3 is meant to use 10w-30 oil.

Yes, when it's new. With age tolerances widen somewhat. Like Lazza said, go progressively to a thicker oil over a couple (hopefully only one) of oil changes until you find one you're happy with.

If the car has headers keep in mind it will always be a little ticky due to the thinner walls compared to cast manifolds.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I'd run a 10w40 or 15w40 oil, I have had my VX SS from new and it has had 10w40 in it from new, just change workshops and they are using 15w40, I think it sounds a tad quieter on the 15w40. The actually Holden handbook says to use 10w30 but goes on to say you may also use 15w40 or 20w50. The oil this new workshop uses, which service a lot of LS1's is Castrol Magnatec Professional Series 15w40, much the same as the 10w40 you buy from the retail stores. If I decide to do my own services I am tossing up between the 10w40 Magnatec or the 10w40 Valvoline Durablend.

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
ive recently changed the oil in my vx calais 5.7 using castrol edge 10w-60 but since i have done that its seems to be making tapping sort of noises, im thinking the oil is a bit to thin for it, i would like to keep using castrol edge just wondering what grade i should use, the car has 150,000kms, and also wondering what products to use for the rest of the service, ie spark plugs, air filter etc, thanks

You just need to find the right oil, its a hit and miss thing. For some reason these engines are all different with noise etc. Some like a specific oil, while another engine wont like the exact same oil and it will sound like an old tractor.
I use the 10-60 in the summer months and then go to a 10-40 in the winter months. The 10-60 is the castrol edge, the 10-40 is a nulon oil, both run reasonable quiet in mine.
As mentioned above, extractors will amplify the noise of the the LS1 a bit. Moine does this at times but i have dealt to live with it.
Something to note. It took a few oil changes when i first started using the 10-60 before my engine became "quiet" enough for my liking. Plus being a 60 weight, i feel comfortable that the film strength is there when i indulge in some spirited driving.