Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what oil would you recommend?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
at the moment i have 10w 40 oil in my vn ss.
theres a slight problem.
when its cold its fine after the engine is warm when u take your foot off the throttle the oil light comes on but it sort of flashes then when the engine gets hotter its on at idle.
im guessing because the oil is too thin the oil pressure sensor doesnt read it that well?

also you can hear my lifters ticking slightly.
so i figured to put some thicker oil through.
im not sure what to go for.
i was thinking 20w 50 but possible 25w 50.
theres also 25w 60 but i dont think id need that.
what would anyone suggest i take?
would 25w 50 be too thick or just right.
or 20w 50?

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Penrite recommend HPR15 which is 15W-40, it may just be the oil you are using.
E.g The bloke that owned my car always put in 20w-50, and i prefer penrite, not sure what he was using, anyway it ran fine on the oil he used, but it hates penrite, bangs like crazy in the top end on start up, takes up to 10 seconds to settle.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
10w40 would be a bit thin on a high mileage engine. it's the second number your concerned with as it represents the oil viscosity at operating temp (the first number represents cold operating performance). 20w50 or 20w60 would be your best bet i think. also need to look into the reason for the low oil pressure when it's up to temp. has it had regular servicing? if not a partially blocked pickup could be the problem. it may pay to fit a proper oil presure guage temporarily to see what the actual pressures are. this will give a better indication of what the problem may be. a worn engine with excessive bearing clearances will show good oil pressure when cold but low oil pressure when hot.

VNV6VENGEANCE

VeNgeance
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Turbo
chuck some Penrite HPR 50 in. I had a 5ltr Vn with some 230000 on the clock. The oil light used to do the same exact thing. HPR 50 is a thicker oil so it also fixed the cold start lifter noise i had.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
try the penrite stuff ...we have hpr30 in all our commys (2 vn's and a vp) and its good quality for money that oil

toyvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn s1 manual
Rather than making a new thread ill just hijack this one lol.. What oil should I use in a s1 vn stock as with 112'k on the clock. This will be the first oil change since I've had the car so I don't know what it likes doesn't like. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
yeh the hpr30 runs alot better.
the oil light doesnt come on.
it only slightly flashes after a longer run.
but im gonna replace the oil pressure sensor and it should do fine.
also im in limp home mode at the moment because my memcal is stuffed but thatll be fixed next week.