Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what pins to bench test vy cluster lights

D-mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SV8
hey all, can someone please lead me in the right direction to the pins used to illuminate the lights on a vy executive cluster? I've bought my self a spare cluster for a bit of practice with installing the led lights. Ive done the led change over already but want to power up the lights on my bench if its possible. Ive done the searching, Ive done the googling and still dont have the exact info i need. A diagram of the pin layout or a simple what pin to use would be FANTASTIC!!!!!! Thanks in advance

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
buy urself a test light ur gonna need it in the future anyways :p and check from ur own wiring harness :)

D-mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SV8
yeah i got a test light but car is away gettin a major service and new steering rack so im too inpatient to wait for car to come back :yeah:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
hey all, can someone please lead me in the right direction to the pins used to illuminate the lights on a vy executive cluster? I've bought my self a spare cluster for a bit of practice with installing the led lights. Ive done the led change over already but want to power up the lights on my bench if its possible. Ive done the searching, Ive done the googling and still dont have the exact info i need. A diagram of the pin layout or a simple what pin to use would be FANTASTIC!!!!!! Thanks in advance

Don't know about the pins, but the colour wires you need are Brown with a White trace is positive and Black with a Yellow trace is negative.
You might have to wait 'till you get you car back, then match up the wires to the connector and you will have the pins you need.

You could try a wreckers and with the wire colours, see if they have a loom you could look at and go from there.

Good luck.

D-mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SV8
Don't think I'll get my car back for about a week or so. Once I get my car back it'd be easy to find the power feed but the ground maybe an issue, dare say there would be a few ground wire's but one will only specifically for illumination?? Can I test the lights off a Dolphin Torch 6v battery or will the volts be too low?? Still anyone welcome to answer what pins are needed!

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

D-mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SV8
Waw, thanks but still confused. I'll try n find the black/yellow wire on the diagram, maybe that's the ground needed

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
The wires I said before are the ones for the illumination.

No, 6 volts wont be enough to power them, you'll need 12.