Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What should i get VR or VS?

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Well let me add some more fire to the conversation. Series 1 VSs had a lot of problems with the redesigned engine as with any new engine type, so stay away from unmaintained or high K examples, they generally burn out quite early in comparison.
The buick or EV6 was at its best form with the VR and the difference in power is very small.
I think it was more of a marketing ploy than anything as I have seen readouts for many commodores tuned with chips and stuff and they always seem to be very similar.
I have driven many of both and couldn't really tell the difference in performance, I still have distant memories of driving a S1 VN Calais which i think was the fastest stock commodore ever. The VS were a bit quieter and more refined, but thats stock. Put an exhaust on it and you've killed off any gain that was made.

The calais are all good with the VR and VS, the main difference is that VS comes with dual airbags, VSsII look a lot different than s1 and have a different paint scheme and fog lights. I personally think they look more modern.

Just beware the VS Calais have a lot of woodgrain which i rekon looks corny (not in all cars, just the way holden has done it) and the extra weight of the Calais will make a difference to off the line performance.

VR and s1 VS calais can be found everywhere for quite cheap, but S2 VS Calais are a different story.

Symptons for a leaking steering rack? Get under the car and pull the boots off the steering arm and check for a leak. Very simple.

Cheers Paul.

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
Vs for sure its always better to get the last of a model the VS is better and the rear main seals are the the same on vr and vs so thats not an issue I had a VS exec with 290ks and no probs heaps a grunt 3kw's less than a VL TURBO to be axact 147kw vs 150 kw's.

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
These cars are over 10 years old so the individual differences between the cars will far outweigh their differences when brand new. An always-garaged, well-maintained VR with 150k will be better than a VS ex-taxi that has been to the moon & back & never had an oil change.

Get the prices from Redbook & shop around. You're not buying a new car so it will inevitably need repairs - budget that in. The money you save on a VR in good condition you can spend on a chip & pipes or whatever. Just think about what you really want.

I've got a VR calais V6 & it's fine by me. I spent $2-1/2k on things like a steering rack, KYB shocks etc etc... but for $8k total it's a good car & the depreciation won't bust me. I drove a (stock) V8 VR and I didn't think it was much quicker than the V6 - says a lot about a car's condition, eh ?

:)

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
DazVYSS said:
Vs for sure its always better to get the last of a model the VS is better and the rear main seals are the the same on vr and vs so thats not an issue I had a VS exec with 290ks and no probs heaps a grunt 3kw's less than a VL TURBO to be axact 147kw vs 150 kw's.

Yah true on paper its only 3 kw, but take it to the drag strip and the different power band peaks leave VR/VS S and SS for dead.

I agree thow, get a late model VS and you can't go wrong.

brenz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
yeah you blokes have totally persuaded me to get a vs now, im already looking for a vs calais, dont mind if its a s II or a series one so ill just get whats best for me and hope for the best. Im will be doing upgrades for sure like intake, exhaust possibly a chip and hopefully in the future ill charge the baby up and see how that goes, im the type of bloke that needs a good take off so ill have to live with those upgrades to get me thru. Question, if i slap the cold air intake, chip and exhaust system how much of an increase of power should i get roughly??

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
my vr got 400,000+ no probs crs comes standard. option for vs rides the same powers negligable maybe prob with heater core in vs holden change for some reason aparently lower pressure prone to fail. however vs may still have warranty.

riggers26

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
The Vr is better. its the same engine as the VN so they fixed all the problems whereas the Vs was a new engine at the time. Altho the fixed most the problems in the VS 2 the VS2 calais look crap i reckon because the 2 tone colour line is alot lower. As for power my Vr kills all my mates VS so i dont know what ur talkin bout

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The VS is substantially more powerful than the VR with virtually the same weight; 147kW vs 130kW. The performance difference may not be so noticeable in normal driving because the VS uses a throttle with the bore shaped so as to provide a slower increase in airflow than the VN-VR. Too many fleet car owners were spinning the wheels on wet roads :).

VS has 'fast fill' master cylinder = better feel to brakes. Fleet car owners complaining of 'spongy brakes'. Note the brakes are the same as VR, they just feel better. Kinda the opposite to the throttle, actually.

VS- engine is substantially stronger, with cross bolted mains and cast alloy sump bolted to block.

Yep, rear main oil seal design is same from late VN-VT. Housing differs VN-VR vs VS-VX.

Me? I'd go low spec. VS rather than high spec. VR for the same money but I don't feel too strongly about it. Moot point really given brenz's already decided. :)

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
MY S1 VS has had no problems, only has 140,000 on the clock but runs smoothly. Only issue i have is fuel economy is really ****.

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
Totally agree Cheap6, go with a series 2 VS as many problems from the series 1 ecotec were solved. I managed to find a 97 Series 2 VS with 130000 k's and in very good condition. If your patient and wait for a decent one then you shouldn't have too many worries with it. Personally i have driven VR's and VS's and i find that the VS is a more refined, smoother motor than the VR although they both are very old in terms of technology.

Cheers, Jon Z