Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what size subs do people like and why?

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Hey guys just wondered what size subs u prefer.10",12" ,15" OR 18"

Currently Running a 12" 600w VCCS Pioneer Sub off my Weconic Amp and it pumps really well!

Last edited:

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
12” seems to be good for most applications. I reckon it’s kinda of an all rounder.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
yep, 12's are the most common id say, but i got 2x 15's, coz they were damn cheap from work, and pioneer, not some cheapo brand.

fabz

I Can Do Science Me
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown V6 VT commodore 5 speed
10" all the way if you set it up correctly you can put one in each corner and their a longer lasting better sounding sub if you ask me. Not some el cheapo tho. but it all depends on budget. I have 2 x 10" and they have been thumping for 3 yrs solid and no probs so far. (i say that now you watch they will break on me now) !!!!!

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
fabz said:
10" all the way if you set it up correctly you can put one in each corner and their a longer lasting better sounding sub if you ask me. Not some el cheapo tho. but it all depends on budget. I have 2 x 10" and they have been thumping for 3 yrs solid and no probs so far. (i say that now you watch they will break on me now) !!!!!
Hope not for ur sake, What brand?

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
I've had 10's and 12's, have to say I prefer the 12's more, much better sound. I wouldn't go near anything bigger than a 12", the size just isn't practical, my boot space is small enough with just 12's let alone 15's or 18's lol.

Shivaga

Reaction score
Website
www.bhss.com.au
Members Ride
'05 VZ Lumina 3.6V6
basically, it depends on what type of music you listen to. personally i like the dance/doof doof, like pretty fast beats, so when i get my sub, i'll go 1 or 2 10", coz the are the best at fast beats.
If you listen to music that has like big long beats, (cant describe it, basically the opposite of what i just said above) then the most ideal sub would be a 15".

Then you have the 12", a great sub that is good at both fast and slow beats. so its really more of a personal taste sort of thing.

P.S. If you like to listen to like thrash and metal stuff, go a 10", because if you have a larger sub, all the stuff that'd come through it will make it deteriate faster, and the larger ones would start to distort if theres too much stuff goin through them.

V

VN_Calais_bloke

my mate has one 15" Pioneer in Box atm runnin off a Monoblock amp with 4 6" Pioneers thru the rest of the car both sets of 2 running off their own 400W Amp. $400 Pioneer MP3 headunit to go with it all, all that in a 98' Lancer lol. his 15" sub is good for Rap and Hip Hop like Ludacris and stuff like that, but my bro's system is 12" Pioneer in box with Audioline Amp on the back of the box, runnin 2 Pioneer 6x9's 220W in the rear parcell shelf with 6" 220W in the front doors. that setup is good for teckas and dance, and also is ok for Rap n hip hop etc....and also is good for the good oldies :D my car, the beastie VN Calais lol, has 6" 160W Pioneer in the front doors, and JVC 6x9's 240W in the back parcel shelf. thats good enough for me for now, might work on gettin a new engine and pissin off the V6 i have lol.

theres my 2cents cheers...

Will :w00t:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I'm a mad bastard, I !_LOVE_! 18's...I've ran several pairs of 18's for and loved them all. Ideally you need to run an 8" along with them just to provide the upper bass notes.