Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what sort of value?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
well, for a couple of months ive been semi contemplating how much longer ill keep my car for and whether to sell it to get something with an LS1 in it.
i still really havent made my mind up and i love my car, but i cant deny that id prefer a newer car with a V8 in it.
i know its a bit annoying when people ask how much there car is worth, but i think in my case im fairly justified for getting opinions, as there's no real guide to go off for pricing on a car like mine.
here's a rundown about my car and ill try to recall everything thats been done to it.

MODEL: '96 VS Equipe series ll
K's: 207,000 on the clock - engine has done 10,000, trans has done 4000.
FACTORY FEATURES: power windows and mirrors, cruise control, no airbags, no abs or irs (not sure why, but i actually like that it doesnt have those things).
EXTERIOR: 18" BSA chrome rims, VX clubsport style body kit, clear tail lights, clear indicators, tinted windows, equipe badges/stickers removed.
BRAKES & SUSPENSION: VT twin piston calipers with HSV slotted rotors (front only), superlow king spings, short travel KYB shocks/struts, nolathane bushes all round, heavy duty sway bar links, adjustable panhard rod.
INTERIOR & SOUND: VS statesman seats and door trims (not leather), VS statesman woodgrain insert console, leather gear shift, isotta leather steering wheel, jvc h/u, clarion 6x9's and clarion splits.
ALARM: viper pager alarm with remote engine start, window module (to wind up window automatically when locking car) and immobiliser.
TRANSMISSION: rebuilt 4L60E with transgo HD2 shift kit, transgo valvebody plate, corvette 2nd servo, performance sprag, steel beast reaction shell, alto red 9 friction kit, steel piston kit, sonax converter internals, huge trans oil cooler.
ENGINE: 4.2L C.O.M.E. Ecotec stroker - block hot acid tank cleaned, block bored and torque plate honed, block decked and equalised both sides, blueprint assembled with all bearing clearances checked and optimised, ring end gaps precisely matched, C.O.M.E. 4.2L stroker crank, "I" beam rods, cast hyperuetectic dish piston kit (9.7:1 comp), C.O.M.E. CSBR-416 hydraulic roller cam with hydraulic lifters dialed in with rollmaster timing gear and chain, reconditioned heads, yella terra 1.8 stealth roller rockers, C.O.M.E. chrome molly retainers and valve springs, msd coils, VT injectors, k&n pod filter and heat shield, VS s/c CAI.
EXHAUST: pacemaker extractors, custom 2" y-piece, hi flow superflow cat, 2 1/2" lukey cat back without resonator and a VY chrome tip.
TUNE: microtech ECU, microtech air and water temp sensors, maf-less tune for the street of 203.9hp (153kw).

*notes: there is barely a part left on this car not replaced or reconditioned, everything is in top working condition and i am bordering on obsessive compulsive about things working perfectly on my car. there is still some more power to be had with the engine, the heads alone should give at least 20hp more once ported and if you wanted to up the compression more that would also unlock some more hp too.
here are some pics, and a dyno sheet, unfortunately i dont have any interior pics atm..i will get some very soon.
oh, and the door handles are being painted white along with white calais door moulds put on within a couple of weeks too...so it'll be an all white beast very soon, lol.

p.s. - if you've gotten this far thanks for reading, it's a bit of a long post but ive tryed to include everything i can remember.

Attachments

• 100_3764.jpg
    100_3764.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 695
  • 100_3766.jpg
    100_3766.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 1,165
  • 100_3765.jpg
    100_3765.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 642
  • dyno3.jpg
    dyno3.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
so no ones game enough to write down a price? i wont get offended or angry - i promise, lol. just after some opinions on what people would think it could sell for - or what they would pay for it.

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
modified cars are a bitch to value, im guessing around $11000 if your lucky. Im expecting about the same for mine :(

The Darkness

Junk Yard Dog
Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VT V6 A4
wish i had money to buy something like that.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If you can aim it at the right market you will get your best dollar....which I guess you know already. Spending money on cars is for enjoyment only and I'm pretty sure you've enjoyed spending some on your VS. From the specs and knowing your profile and reading between the lines I'd say you will be lucky to get $10K.
At this price it is an absolute gift. Sad but true. Best place for a car like that is the performance section in Ebay or the same section in trading post.
With those mods can you get a RWC? (only asking to save a shock!).
Do you know anybody who has in the past salivated over your car? - if so then chase them up. As always when you sell a car like yours the prospective buyer will wonder 'just why is he selling this great car' Good Luck.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
cheers for the opinions so far guys, i absolutely realise ill be practically giving this car away for the money spent on it, but it was always known to me that re-sale would be low. ill get a RWC easy hako, everything is legal and i have a mod plate for the stuff that needs one.
im still not keen on selling it, but ive had it for about 3yrs and i kinda want something new to play with and i really want a V8 too.
also to answer your question hako, lots of people have told me how much they love my car in the past - i rarely have a day at work without someone saying "hey is that your commodore out there?" etc...but i doubt any of them have the money for it, lol.

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
Looks pretty nice!! id say u would be looking aorund 10-11k its a pity that all the money spent never pays off on re sale, as long as u had a blast with it. You thought about forced induction? or you dead set on a V8, either way good luck with the sale if u do decide to part with it

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
cheers mate, i did have alot of fun with this car...i did everything to it (bought it bog stock) and learnt alot from doing so. forced induction never really seemed attractive to me, its easy hp, but its been done so many times i thought id see how far it could go n/a.
if i get over this stage of thinking about selling it ill probably go all out and try to get it into the low 13's...as far as im aware if i get under 13.6 it'll be the fastest n/a V6 commodore around (someone feel free to correct me if im wrong please). i reckon with the heads ported, lsd & 3.7 diff gears, new tune and some slicks id come pretty close.

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
the way i think about pricing my car is set a price, say 10k. than have a look around at other modified cars the same model, and see if your car is as good or better than the others

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
What sort of fuel economy do you get with that with general driving/highway? And does it have climate control?