Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What suspension parts should I consider replacing at 135,000kms

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
My car has been lowered with pedders springs for over 100,000kms on standard shocks.

I need to replace them, and think I will go with Monroe GT sport.

What other items should I be looking at replacing to regain optimum ride quality and performance?

I will keep the peddlers springs.

Cheers!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Heh heh … love auto-correct. :)

I think that rubber bushes would be pretty worn after 135000km, although am making assumptions about their existence.
Does the VF suspension design have strut-too bearings?

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Arm bushes should be fine, as they last ages on Gen IV. Sway bar bushes will probably be worn. Sway bar links will likely be worn. All strut components will likely need replacing. Only thing on the struts to salvage will be the springs.
Rear struts will be worn but rear bushes should be fine. Rear links will be worn but not worth worrying about.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Arm bushes should be fine, as they last ages on Gen IV. Sway bar bushes will probably be worn. Sway bar links will likely be worn. All strut components will likely need replacing. Only thing on the struts to salvage will be the springs.
Rear struts will be worn but rear bushes should be fine. Rear links will be worn but not worth worrying about.
If I am replacing the struts with the Monroe GT sport, are there another component’s within this overall structure I need to replace?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bump stops, strut top bushes, bearings, and boots if they are starting to split.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
If I am replacing the struts with the Monroe GT sport, are there another component’s within this overall structure I need to replace?
Strut tops will likely be deteriorated and should be replaced, however be careful with urethane tops. They can be harsh, and many raise the front ride height. I personally don't use urethane strut tops unless a car is regularly used for track days or has coil overs fitted with exceptionally stiff spring rates. Monroe GT Sport shocks are the best choice I've found with King springs lowering a car more than 25mm.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Strut tops will likely be deteriorated and should be replaced, however be careful with urethane tops. They can be harsh, and many raise the front ride height. I personally don't use urethane strut tops unless a car is regularly used for track days or has coil overs fitted with exceptionally stiff spring rates. Monroe GT Sport shocks are the best choice I've found with King springs lowering a car more than 25mm.
Thanks.

Is there a preferred brand / type?

What is the OEM strut top?

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bump stops, strut top bushes, bearings, and boots if they are starting to split.
Are bump stops part of the Monroe GT sport unit?

I have read they have softer smaller bump stops?

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Are these the right ones?

Do I need 2 or 4?

https://www.originalpartsgroup.com.au/genuine-holden-new-front-strut-top-mount-bearing-s