Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What The F@$K ????

kilmo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Ok, I'm not usually the type to fly off the handle about problems I have, infact usually I try to see the lighter side of everything, but I am absolutely shattered, and pissed off about what I've just experienced. I just completed a country trip to attend a funeral a total of 494Kms. Now I'm no expert when it comes to cars, but my asumption would be that if you are doing a country trip with very little, if not none at all, stopping and starting then you would have a lower fuel comsumption rate....Please someone correct me if I'm wrong...But I have just travelled above mentioned distance, and I was lucky to get back, scraping in with a mere 55Kms until my tank is empty. Now someone please affirm my fears that that is a shite load of fuel to use for that distance. Considering that I can get 400kms city driving I'm absolutely puzzled as to why I would only get 100Kms when my consumption rate is at least 3L/100kms below my city driving. Would I be :bang: if I was to seek questions from Holden ??? Surely there is a problem ??? Any ideas ???

Cheers,
Kilmo

P.S. I'll attach the pics I took, just to show what I'm ranting about
DSC00177.jpg

DSC00176.jpg

DSC00175.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

kilmo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Sorry, to clarify, I filled up this morning. The guage was around 1/4 of a tank and I was able to put in about 35 litres. For the record I've never been able to get more than 55 Lts into the tank. I intend to run it out of fuel and see how far I can get.....I'm fairly pissed tho.

Cheers,
Kilmo

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
I dont trust it.

As soon as I see the guage head for the notch above empty I fill up. Ive found this thing to be well and truley off.

It can jump at incredible intervals, then when it gets to around 40L it'll start to drop at the rate of 1L each second (39, 38, 37 ...) until it reaches about 20 L, th en it'll fluctuate around 21, 20, 19, 21 etc.

It did this to me one day. I left work with 120Km to empty (I live 60k's away), then just dropped like buggery. Got half way home and thats when the bugger started to do the above countdown so buggered if I know :unsure:

Road_Pilot

Road_Pilot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hi guys, I think this has something to do with a fault in the gauge readout as I had the same a few weeks ago when I did a long run out in to the country. Droped the load off and the readout showed 140klm to empty with the next fuel stop only 75klms back down the road I decided to head back. About 25 klms down the road the low fuel warning sounded indicating I had less that 60klm of fule left. Within 5klm the alarm warning was extreme low fuel with a reading of 22 klms of fuel left. I continued and when I did reach the fuel stop and filled up I could only get 47lt in to the tank. So I guess for me I will now work from the distance travelled and always fill at around 400klm or below depending on availability.

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
KE Laser Ghia 1.6 Carbie M5
Holden has to fix their **** fuel guages FAST!!!

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
sometimes when i drive (with L's) our 'To empty' guage increases, it starts at 50 to go then 60 to go and up to 80 or so, sometimes we actually seem to accumulate fuel (which isn't bad), this is in our adventra...also our vx s-pac once ran out of fuel when it said there was still 1/4 tank, we had that repaired by holden...so yeah i think holden should work out their fuel guages before selling them...and sometimes the guage is out when parked on a slope, but we all knew that...my 2-cents anyway.

venomous

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Commodore
maybe you put in 35$ worth instead of 35 LITRS?

i do it all the time, instead of filling in say 20 litres now i have to fill up 20$ worth wich would be something like 15 litrs..maybe you done the some thing thinking you put in 35 litrs??

or maybe not and your gauge is just screwed :p

BobT

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
Kilmo

The answer to your question is simple. The distance to empty reading is not worth a crumpet. It bounces around like a mad woman's t*ts. I just ignore it till it gets to zero then I go looking for petrol. I haven't run out yet. Even then, the most I've been able to get in the tank is 67ltres in a 75litre tank.

The funny thing is that when it gets to about 35km to go, it suddenly decides to become accurate and counts down the kms one by one till it gets to zero. Work that out!

We keep being told that a fix is on its way. Well so is Christmas.

steane

Reaction score
Website
www.carupdate.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Maloo 6spd
Guys, there is a massive thread about this issue already with all the info you could want on the subject. Basically, the fuel gauges and trip computers are pieces of crap and Holden can't or won't fix it but check the other thread.