Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What the heck could have caused this? Completely out of the blue

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
haha wait, I'm looking at the wrong guys post.. my bad lol. I didn't realize you came in halfway there.. haha sorry

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
Haha thought I was trippin for a second there hahaha. Well anyways, keep us posted with how you go with the button.

haha wait, I'm looking at the wrong guys post.. my bad lol. I didn't realize you came in halfway there.. haha sorry

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Haha thought I was trippin for a second there hahaha. Well anyways, keep us posted with how you go with the button.

Will do. I've got my mate grabbing me one from Holden today as he works there, so I'll have a crack at installing it on Thursday most likely..

AdamGardner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
So it's tricky to get in.. Did you buy a new part from Holden? How much did that set you back? Someone mentioned $20 above, but just wanna make sure of this price. I am going to try and do it myself, so do you have any tips? lol
Sorry for the late reply bud. Initially I bought the part from the wreckers, and paid $50 for the whole shifter assembly – snapped the actual part I needed trying to install it and that’s when i went to Holden. I installed it myself just using this guide, it has all you need to know: How to install a chrome shifter button in your VT/VX
Just be ultra careful and don’t force anything because it is a very fragile part. Another set of hands to help you insert the metal pin back through the plastic hole in the shifter would definitely help you out!
Let me know if you need more help mate.

sandbar1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s/c spak
I got a broken one just like yours. Been like that for the last 2 years

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
I was wondering.. Do I really need the button? As everyone would know, you can just push the gear stick and it relatively-easily moves between gears, so is it ok to do this without using the button ever? Or will that prematurely wear out another pin of some sort? I've seen a few new cars, auto's, that don't bother with a button any more, so would I be able to get away with doing the same?

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Firstly I think it's illegal and secondly I can see you cruising around in drive when someone accidentally bumps it into park or reverse and then it will cost you a lot more then what a new button would, but the choice is yours in what you want to do.

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Firstly I think it's illegal and secondly I can see you cruising around in drive when someone accidentally bumps it into park or reverse and then it will cost you a lot more then what a new button would, but the choice is yours in what you want to do.

A working button makes no difference as to how easy/hard it is to change the gear without pressing said button..