Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What The...?

V

vsDBcar

lol if u want a good spl piss of the perspex unless its like 30mill

Jesk

registered lunatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 ef2 fairmont
Gold_VR_Berlina said:
Hey everyone

do u think i could put a sub in the boot when i have a gas tank. thanks

Where i work there is a regular that drives a hyundai excel (just bear with me) its on gas with the gas tank in the boot, and a ten inch sub in the boot also. So if it can be managed in a excel im sure it can managed with commie

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hi All.

Just a thort - let's not forget that the human ear's response is logarithmic - in other words, twice as much power does NOT equal twice as loud. In fact, doubling the power results in a just perceptible increase in volume. (it's true!)

To sound any louder at all than 10W, you need to increase the power to 20W. To sound any louder than 20W, you have to increase to 40. To sound any louder than 100W, you need to increase the power to 200W.

When I'm looking at speaker specs, the efficiency is very important - this is given as the SPL/W/m - basically means the SPL in deciBels from the driver when powered with 1 watt, measured at 1 metre. Also, watch out for the shonky manufacturers who quote their efficiency levels measured at 0.5 metre!!

For what it's worth anyway!

Cheerz.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
and whats the difference between 1.0M and 0.5M??.....about 3dB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Each time you half or double your distance you gain or lose 3dB depending on which way you go.

As a little extra to those who are interested it's true that to gain a noticeable increase in volume you need to double your power output. BUT if you want DOUBLE the Volume, you need to increase your power output by 10!!! So, to double your power from 100W you need to goto 1000W or 1kW !!

Also, double the volume is only a 10dB increase, strange huh? yep, 140dB is TWICE as loud as 130dB!!

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
they say you learn sumting everyday, its 6.50am now just woke up learnt my Quota, now im going back to bed. i heard that every 3 decibels was twice as loud, but i guess not..

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Thanks for expanding on that King - a lot of people out there will probably dismiss that as a load of crap. OK, they can fit a linear potentiometer to their amplifier's volume control, and then they can wonder why it only makes a difference to the output "loudness" in the first half of the rotation!

(that's why you always find a logarithmic pot used in a volume control) ;)

Cam, I'm afraid you were mis-informed Mate. A 3dB increase is twice the power, not twice the perceived loudness.

We are in fact fortunate that our ear responds logarithmically - it's that fact which allows us to hear such a wide dynamic range. That is, from the quietest whisper of a sound we can hear, all the way up to the loudest sound we can tolerate

Here endeth the lesson.... :rofl:

Cheerz!

PEAKN6

Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbros.co.nr
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X 6cyl 4spd, soon to be a Mild 253
my brother had 2 12" subs in his car. 500watts and was only $70. he though that was a wicked deal so he got 2. but he moved on and bought 2 JL 12wo8's and was about 140 wrms for bout $340 for the pair (usually $250 each) and they shi7 allover the $70 ones because they were better brand and costed more and it can be heard from about 4 streets away. i guess what im saying is "MORE BANG FOR BUCK" so the more u pay is prolly the better it actully is.