Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to get when PRICE$$ is a problem. But time isn't...

Hesher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Null
Hi,
Forum name Hesher.. real name Dave... first time poster and I'm not an alcoholic.

I haven't owned a car in a few years and just started looking again... and always loved Commodores so what better place to come with my questions. When I was 17 and got my first car I bought an 03' VR that served me well for about 6 years and besides maintenance and services it only needed the usual fix ups like harmonic balancer and the a new alternator. Luckily my mate is a good mechanic and was able to do a fair bit of the work for me because I don't really know my ass from my elbow when it comes to car engines. 2 stroke motorbikes sure... spark/fuel and some cable ties and she'l be right but haven't had much to do with cars.
So I'l get to my question.. When I first thought about getting a car I thought well I've got maybe $10 000 to spend, I'l look for the nicest looking and latest model 6cyl Commodore I can get because simple looks and comfort is really what means most to be rather then a large engine (mainly due to rego/insurance/fuel costs. So I was thinking I might be able to get a nice VY or something with less then 100k's on it.
But the more I looked into it the more I started getting interested in what i liked as a teenager ... meaning VL Commodores, but something very well looked after, with low kilometres (say,,, less then 80k to make sure I don't have to drop a new engine in it). But while I love the look of the OUTSIDE of the VL's I'm not fussed on the interior or the dash, so if I was to drop around $3000 to $4000 on a VL in very good nick, after making sure it runs beautifully I'd be looking at spending money on the interior. Starting with new seats, not just upholstery but newer style seats. Then updating the dash to look as new and updated as possible. But like I said not know that much about cars ... while I'm pretty good at working things out as far as fitting car stereos and dashes and stuff and sure I could do it myself I'm not sure of the possibilities and prices. So if I was to do this, is it possible to put a fairly new looking dash in a car that old? And if it was an automatic can the shifter be changed to a new style shifter and what am I looking at spending on something like that? My idea would have the outside traditional VL look with maybe a new paint job and simple kit, but the inside like a newer style commodore mostly for comfort and looks. Any idea's welcome, any help accepted. Thanks in advance,
Cheers,

ozrockracing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute Series III
I can only think of one word...sacrilidge.

VL's are a good looking functional car as are most models in the range.
If you are looking for comfort buy a late model and just drive it, and maybe pick up a VL to rebuild it back to it's glory days look and feel. It is just my opinion but customizing to me is modifying something original and making it more funtional/appealing, not replacing with something completely different.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
To find a VL in good condition, you'd be looking to drop near $5k on it.

To upgrade the interior, probably another $5k

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
So what, you wanna put like a VP-VZ dash or something into a VL? Yeah that's gonna be really weird and probably crazy difficult.

Upgrading the interior is gonna be expensive and very difficult.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
i say go for it, yes it will be expensive and difficult, but how many cover car owners do you think were told not to bother with doing it because it was too expensive and difficult?

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
My mate put a Nissan Cefiro dash into a VK......anything is possible with time and money

Hesher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Null
i say go for it, yes it will be expensive and difficult, but how many cover car owners do you think were told not to bother with doing it because it was too expensive and difficult?

That's what I like to hear... confidence and 'can do'. I don't necessarily mean a VZ or any particular dash, I mean just an upgraded interior. **** if I could fit a new style BMW dash into it or something or Monaro I'd consider it that doesn't matter, I just meant something new. Steering wheel and dash lights and stuff yeah that's easy but I mean complete front end of interior and new seats, shifter... centre console etc.
I am actually a lover of all Commodore models, so as long as I can find something 6cyl with low K's I'l buy it. Aything VK up.
I don't like jazzy flashes crap and lights and I may ave said it a few times but really just comfort I think newer styles seats would be more comfortable and updated then something from 1985. i did find a great looking VL with really low Kms going for $7900 though.
I can'r seem to find many cars in my price range with low Km's though, tried carsales, car point, trading post etc. gonna maybe try the auctions this weekend.

VZ Thunder SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder SS Ute
To be honest, unless you are completely set out on the style of a vl I would keep the newer models in mind if your after that comfort, the struggles you will encounter to change the interior / dash are only worth it if you 100% set on the idea and have enough money + time to do so.

Hesher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Null
Thanks for the replies. I've taken your advice.. and trust me I was only asking because I can tell from reading the other threads you guys know what you're talking about. The thing pushing me into the direction of an older model (VK - VL) commodore was the fact it would be cheaper.. but I can see now that getting one that old that is in great nick and then customising it or modifying it to look new is a bit silly the way I would be doing it not too mention expensive.
So I've taken another look at my budget, and different models. And decided I'l be going through the city auctions, (usually ex government cars with log books and haven't been flogged) and looking to get a later model car, STILL with low kms. So low kms, and under $10 000 is my goal. Preferably un modified so any changes I can do myself. And hopefully it'l last me as long as my old car did before I sadly sold it.
While I'm at it I'l tag onto this thread and ask if anyone has any idea of the average price of a VU - VZ Exec auto, selling at auction?
ALSO... I'm having a LOT of trouble finding sites with good descriptions and prices on accessories and add on parts for interiors of later model Commodores. Can anyone help me out with a site? Ive searched for over 2 hours on Google.
Cheers guys.