Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What tyres are good in 17?

Stooged

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Aclaim
What tyres are good in 17" size?

I have just bought a Commodore VR on 17s that has had rear camber problems (Lowered IRS) that I am fixing.
Just wondering what tyres people have been happy with and what tyres people have had a bad run with.
Im after something middle of the range that sticks to the road reasonably wet or dry and that doesnt wear out too quick.
Paul.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Dunlop SP Maxx's
If above your price range, friends swear by GT's

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
maxxis or dunlop sp 3000a thats all i recomment maxxis won tyre of the year for wheels mag and the dunlops are good. For a cheap alternative and a good touring tyre look into the firestone tz100 range ....hope that is some help.

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
pirelli P6000's or PZERO's as they are now called.

I used to loose it on fast roundabouts in the wet and now the p6000's stick like s#!t to a blanket.
235/45 R17's are about 325 each, i got them for 265 coz i ordered them through a tyre power (toyo dealer) and they stuffed the quote up

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
i got the hardest compound tyres i could find at the time and they happened to be maxxis tyres..

ive had them for over a year now and still have at least 85% tread left as for traction they havnt lost much at all (i havnt notice a differance at all) compared to softer tyres ive had before apart from extended tyre life... i mean unless your gonna go being a wanker street racing then you aint gonna notice it

my softer compound tyres lasted me about a year and the rears went in the middle and the fronts chomped out the insides (yes i did rotate them appropriatley)

I can see at least another year if not more coming out of the maxxis tyres i have now... obviously i dont do burnouts or go drifting in them

VT97CALAIS

VT-Best Holden shape!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 S1 VT Calais /A4
yeah I've heard bad stuff bout the Sp3000's as well particularly on BA-BF falcoons
noisey and excessive vibration, thumping too.

cheers,
VT97Calais

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
I got dunlop sp3000a's and they were $219 each. I find them grippy in the wet and dry. they do make bit of road noise. only have them on the front now. I have gemstone on the rear now. They are only $115 a tyre and have no grip at all, wet and dry. But there a bit of fun haha.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I can't complain about sp3000a, had three sets of them. As for road noise, well it's a car. :thumbsup: