Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What wagon or SUV would you buy for 20k?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'm still committed to the commodore for now but it's getting older and the ks are getting up there so there's no knowing how long it will last.
The next car could be a late model VE VF if it's not crazy expensive or something else.
So in the something else category are things like a Forrester, CX-5, RAV4, XV, don't really know.
What medium size cars fit 5 medium size people and some luggage, last forever, economical,, and are easy to maintain? Bonus points for AWD :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Subis burn oil and lots of it. They run 0w from factory which I think is stupid. If there is a get around that they are pretty decent. CX5 drivers piss me off. It's always women I see driving them and they're always in a hurry. We have a 2015 Outlander it's been brilliant. More reliable than the new Ravs. Toyota have dropped the ball in recent years. They had a good rep but that's fading.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
How easy is it to get parts for the outlander? I'm a bit scared of bitsashiti cars in general to be honest but I think that comes from the good old days of smokey magna's and early pajeros that accelerate from 0 to 100 in 45 seconds. Some challengers look sweet but are very tall and don't look like they would handle very well. Also expensive.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Challengers have no parts.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’d go a Kia or Hyundai. Tucson, Sorrento.

Friends bought a Pajero. They aren’t car people and they even say it’s slow as.

Older outlanders are slow and under powered.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Father Inlaw bought a Kia Sportage. He loves it. Fits his bike. Easier for him to get in and out of than the Commodore was.

2017-2018 for ~$20k.

Goes quicker than the Commodore did.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Would Sir like a Turbo, or Normally Aspirated, with a side dressing of CVT, DCT or Old Fashioned Slush Box.
These engines can be prepared with or without Hybrid marinade.
With the side dressings, they come in various sizes, 6, 8, 9 or 10 Speed, usually on a very expensive plate.
We have many colours to chose from, varying from light greyish silver to black, for you convenience.
And your budget is $20K ......... Hmmm ......... I will get you the cheaper take-away menu.

Having just been through this exercise with my daughter, I don't envy you. At all.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Would Sir like a Turbo, or Normally Aspirated, with a side dressing of CVT, DCT or Old Fashioned Slush Box.
These engines can be prepared with or without Hybrid marinade.
With the side dressings, they come in various sizes, 6, 8, 9 or 10 Speed, usually on a very expensive plate.
We have many colours to chose from, varying from light greyish silver to black, for you convenience.
And your budget is $20K ......... Hmmm ......... I will get you the cheaper take-away menu.

Having just been through this exercise with my daughter, I don't envy you. At all.
I never said it must be new.
Ideally 5 years old but that doesn't appear realistic. So maybe 25k and pre covid era.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How easy is it to get parts for the outlander? I'm a bit scared of bitsashiti cars in general to be honest.
The 2015-2016 Outlanders are not like the old Magnas and Pajero's the had timing belts and chains that wear out. Parts supply is apparently good. I can't confirm though as the only thing we have had to replace in the last 100k, has been plugs, pads, and filters.