Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What wheels what tyres?

Clinster

Reaction score
Website
s2.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VSII Berlina
Just wondering...
Ive got stock VS Berlina mags 15 inch 205 /65 RE92 tyres. yeah good ol standard as...
Im thinking of changing the combo to get the handling a lil better...
Should i go a wider tyre like 215/60 R15 series or go a 16 inch rim or even a 17 inch rim.
obviously the 17s are the size that looks the coolest but is it actually the best??
is the ride goin to be to harsh. some of the roads in SA are not the best!!
i see alot of 17s and above that look really nice but you see alot of scratched rims from getting to close to the ol kerbs.
i also drive occasionally on dirt roads so i dont want to go too low on the profile.
can anyone give some advice from their experience as to what is a good happy medium???
Cheers for your input!

JT090

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
i live on a farm so i drive on a couple of km of dirt road every day, i have 18's with 235 wide rubber on and its fine, as long as the tyres arent heaps soft compound and you dont go too quick over its fine. I haven't blew a tyre as of yet. And i fine the handling to be good.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I something with a bit more grip on my old VS and I ended up with 16in rims with 225 tyres. I was actually having this exact discussion with a mate today and we reckon 17's with 225s or 235s would handle pretty well without being too low profile

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
17's with 235/45 tyres are the best compromise between ride and handling and the 45 side wall will be ok with dirt roads.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina 5.7
go with either 16's or 17's, my choice would be the 17's. You can get some good second hand rims and tyres under $1000 dollars. With the rims being 17x8 it will give you better handeling than your berlina rims which are only 6.5 or 7 inch wide.

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
Suspension/wheels Help?

Yeah thanx for your responses!
After driving a VY SV8 on the weekend (check out the review under General) with the 17s 235/45 setup i was very impressed with the handling. Yes the SV8 had FE2 also which probably made the difference.
Can anyone tell me whether ill need to upgrade the springs or swaybar to get the better handling? Or am i just wishing or kidding myself that i wont be able to get my beloved VS the same type handling as a VZ with FE2???
Believe it or not i have the standard/original springs in the VS and i havent wanted to lower it due to ground clearance reasons hence not ever changing the springs, but i have had the shocks changed (Monroe GT gas) about a year or two ago.
Any suggestions??

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
My Vs has complete pedders suspension put in by the previous owner, so I am not sure exactly what springs etc they are. But I don't think it is as low as 'lows', but handles like a different car to my old one with standard suspension.

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
Does anyone know if i lower my car 1 inch front and 1 1/2 at the back will i need to know if i need to change my Monroe GT shocks to short shocks??