Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what would $9000 get me (a 355)

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
9K to get machine work done, crank, rods, pistons, bearings, cam, lifters, valves, seats, gaskets, fluids, labour, tune, trans work (a manual valve body won't allow it to handle extra power), convertor, tail shaft (would want new uni's at least), diff gears, reco'ed.........
Lot of work for $9K:whistling

lol put a 1 infront and it'll be kinda close :whistling

stealth616

stealth616
Reaction score
Members Ride
5ltr VN Wagon
I just went n sussed out getting a 355 built the other week, just under 8k n they said they could build me a guaranteed 12sec car with all the strong stuff 4 future mods without having 2 go bak change **** around again. This was from a very reputable motor builder. I also went elsewhere 4 a second quote n was told around 7 n a half grand n again from a reputable builder. I rekon add another 3k for auto and diff.
Any1 getting charged any more that this 4 this kind of build is gettin ripped off n needs 2 find a new builder.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
i just paid 7 grand for my 355 parts, machining and manifold and accessories

me building it saved the most money there tho...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Yep, wonder how these guys go with their 355's passing emissions and engineering etc.

The 355 in itself shouldn't be an issue. I guess it depends weather your engine has the factory emissions gear hooked up and an exhaust that has the correct mufflers fitted. To be strictly within he book you would need to run a stock tune (eg HSV group A) and limit injector sizes to the Group A.

If you get done for an emissions test...how will you get around it?

You spend a weekend retrofitting a stocker driveline. :thumbsup:

Reaper.

RVK 355

M0DERAT0R
Reaction score
Members Ride
The real R series 355
I just went n sussed out getting a 355 built the other week, just under 8k n they said they could build me a guaranteed 12sec car with all the strong stuff 4 future mods without having 2 go bak change **** around again. This was from a very reputable motor builder. I also went elsewhere 4 a second quote n was told around 7 n a half grand n again from a reputable builder. I rekon add another 3k for auto and diff.
Any1 getting charged any more that this 4 this kind of build is gettin ripped off n needs 2 find a new builder.

is that 8k on motor alone, or is that turn key 12sec running car for 8K!

Blair_355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Diff between 1000-1500.

I just had my lsd done, new gears for $600

Cost me $2600 for my auto rebuild with a stage 1 shift kit, but I did have a few other additions and the guy was local in a small town, not like down south where car stuff is cheap.

i agree m8,$9000 will not get you a stroker build and installed,cost me bit over $2500 for stall and stage 2 rebuild fairbanks trans.

i reckon 9k would get you a 383...
allow 1500-2000 for a trans depending on stall and manual valve body.
diff probably 1000,
that would leave you with 6k to get the motor done... they've come down a lot in price in recent years.

I was quoted last week $2600 for a built auto, full manualised and high stall.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
You spend a weekend retrofitting a stocker driveline. :thumbsup:

Reaper.

hehe brings back memories of swapping manifolds and carbies on my uc LOL (had 350 holley + redline intake) i had 6 retests once lol i had to take the missus and kids the last time to get it passed (extra pity), bullcrap stuff like uh this pollution valve isn't opening all the way, and this vacuum line is missing + P plates. boooooo EPA. I got dragged to the testing station on my way home from work by the tmu and they bent me over LOL

I loved playing dumb tho "this manifold,carburettor and ignition are incorrect" i said "what u talkin 'bout runs grouse":yeah: