Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what would you pay

PTRSEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SIDI SV6 UTE
hi guys, very close to purchasing a new sv6 thunder and am just wondering about the price. its 34990 for a manual and 35500 for an auto. just wondering if you guys have got the dealers to flex much on the advertised price of a brand new car? or if you have gotten many extras out of them?
any help or advice on purchasing a new car would be much appreciated!

itsArthurKomar

sexy beast
Reaction score
Members Ride
super awesome time machine
i recon go with the manual, just because its more fun to drive( on track or on road depend if ur a hoon or not haha) but if u get the auto i would try to get a free tint job and paint protection form them coz they charge like $2450 for it which is ridiculous if you ask me. 500 just for the tint "darkest legal" which is clearly not the darkest legal tint so yeah
thats my opinion :)
hi guys, very close to purchasing a new sv6 thunder and am just wondering about the price. its 34990 for a manual and 35500 for an auto. just wondering if you guys have got the dealers to flex much on the advertised price of a brand new car? or if you have gotten many extras out of them?
any help or advice on purchasing a new car would be much appreciated!

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Don't ask for freebies during negotiation (ask for after neg.) as they'll just take the cost of these items out of there margin meaning you could have saved the cost of those items off the sale price of the vehicle also ask for small things like floor mats etc.

They won't do paint protection for free/extra as its too expensive if they do this it will be factored into the sale of the vehicle
Always ask for a full tank of fuel and make sure they write this on the contract

Also city dealerships are more competitive than regional so best to get emailed quotes from other dealers and take it to the regional for price comparrison

Hope this helps

talljoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
I went for the v8 manual SS, now with the thunder coming out 1 month later I realise why I got it new for 38k a month ago.....

I might get hung here for saying this but I don't think the stock v8 is very fast, it barely makes the manual worth it.... But I have been in some very, very fast cars. The 6 will of course be slower, and if I was to get one I'd almost certainly get the auto for driving around, it's way more relaxing in traffic. It's not really a sports car with a 6 cyl producing 210kw (IMHO).

A lot of ppl say you're a pussy / whatever for not getting a manual. Just get what you prefer, and know that an auto is always better for going around in traffic.

The 6 cyl will not be slow by any stretch (for you it might be quick?) drive both and see what u like. Give it a bit of a heavy foot, and do a standing start in both cars, as well as cruising along THEN giving it a bootful (the latter will impress u more, but dont get swayed too much by this).

Nanoxcel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
In a lot of car tests the auto has been faster over the 1/4 then the manual, I went auto because the clutch in the manuals is piss weak and im a lazy driver that doesnt care about burn outs. :)

PTRSEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SIDI SV6 UTE
I'm still on my Ps so il have to go the 6 and most of my work is around the city (and I'm pretty lazy) so il go with the auto. The next thing iv gotta decide is just the colour and what extras I want! Also has anyone had one of those toolboxes installed in the back with the sliding rails? Are they any good or pretty easy to brake into? I much prefer the look Of the sportsbars on the softtop compared with the hardtop!!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Don't ask for paint protection OR tint from them - both are crap. You can pick up aftermarket tinting for less than half the price and it won't fade. As for the paint protection, it's a total wank. If you want some kind of protective coating put on your car that actually works, have someone who knows what they're doing correct your car and apply some Opti-coat.

If you're going to ask for extras (after negotiating the price, as suggested), go for things that will be of benefit to you - mats (if they're not already included), HSV steering wheel (worth it), alloy pedals (not worth it but they look better) or a discount on a hard lid.