Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's broken?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
What if the centre bearing isn’t flogged? I’d try some spacers yourself and see if that balances things again.

They might of spotted that and instead offered a more detailed job yet just put the spacers back in.

The centre bearing is just two bolts. Loosen both. Then undo one. Insert some high tensile washers over the bolt. Then re thread the bolt in. Then do the other side. Get it looking straight. Tighten up both bolts and take it for a drive. Might get lucky for $5-$10 for some high tensile washers. (Well the gold passivated washers that go with high tensile bolts)

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
M35 is The Getrag. So it’s not had a trans swap.

snicklefritz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Ute Series III
What if the centre bearing isn’t flogged? I’d try some spacers yourself and see if that balances things again.

They might of spotted that and instead offered a more detailed job yet just put the spacers back in.

The centre bearing is just two bolts. Loosen both. Then undo one. Insert some high tensile washers over the bolt. Then re thread the bolt in. Then do the other side. Get it looking straight. Tighten up both bolts and take it for a drive. Might get lucky for $5-$10 for some high tensile washers. (Well the gold passivated washers that go with high tensile bolts)

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm going to try and get to DIYgarage next week to tackle a couple of other smaller jobs that are easier to do on a hoist, so I'll have a poke around then.

As you say, maybe I'll get lucky, if not I currently have a booking to get it fixed in two weeks time.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just don’t get robbed on it.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
2 piece tailshaft isn't meant to be straight, there needs to be angle for the cv's to work correctly. Hence the marking on the mid mount that's had irs and an arrow for irs models.

Get your centre bearing replaced and then go from there.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have the unis replaced too. Try to use it gen bearing if they can still be bought. Aftermarket ones are junk as they have too much movement and can flog out I no time, especially if you get some vibes through the TS.

snicklefritz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Ute Series III
I currently have it booked in with DBS Perth - Total Drivetrain Solutions for next Tuesday so hopefully they will be able to sort things out.

This thing has devolped a couple more issues (it never ends).

The speedo started fluttering and then stopped working earlier today when I went to go and get fuel, the digital speedo isn't working either. It's throwing code 94 so I assume either the sensor has kicked the bucket or has come unplugged somehow.

Also, the ute has started randomly stalling under moderate braking at low speed (2nd gear, roundabouts, corners etc). I have checked the brake booster and it is holding vacuum, and the check valve is ok. It doesn't do it under light braking.

The fuel pump was replaced a year ago and the engine otherwise runs fine so I don't think it's fuel starvation.

Any thoughts?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
94 is manual speed sensor

When stop too suddenly ecu cant catch up quick enough to catch it in time so it stalls with no vss.

My gtr would do same thing when it had no vss connected up although it was an intermittent fault code.

snicklefritz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Ute Series III
94 is manual speed sensor

When stop too suddenly ecu cant catch up quick enough to catch it in time so it stalls with no vss.

My gtr would do same thing when it had no vss connected up although it was an intermittent fault code.

I'll go ahead and add a new speed sensor to my shopping list. Hopefully that solves the problem.

snicklefritz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Ute Series III
Update:

New centerbearing, cv joint, rubber coupling, universal joints and balance ended up costing $1200 :oops:

Speed sensor is working again (came unplugged somehow), speedo now working and car no longer stalling.

Thanks everyone.