Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats involved??

hothead115

Reaction score
Members Ride
1972 mini clubman
whats involved with putting a starter motor in a vn berlina wagon? 3 bolts and a positive and a negative isnt it? any help would be much apreciated

cheers

hothead115

Reaction score
Members Ride
1972 mini clubman
there is no battery in her at the moment... so i should be set then?

H

HATER VP

Yep pretty much. 13mm bolts fom memory but dont hold me to it.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Apparently removing the exhaust manifold on that side can also make it a lot easier to get at if you're having trouble with access.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
hothead115 said:
whats involved with putting a starter motor in a vn berlina wagon? 3 bolts and a positive and a negative isnt it? any help would be much apreciated

cheers

hey man i did this recently, not really hard

1st step
start by disconnecting the battery, remove the spark plugs but write down a diagram of where they were so you dont get struck apon re-assembly, jack the car up and put it on stands, this is a MUST because of what u have to do... use a socket set, dont try using a spanner you wont get the torque you require, borrow one if u have to,

2nd step
jack the car up and put it on stands on the jacking points on both side of the engine, now unbolt the headers at the head, there should be 6 bolts, without a socket wrench kit this will be VERY hard, then get under the car and soak the bolts with wd40 that join the headers to the exhust, let it sit for 5-10 mins then undo the bolts

3rd step unbolt the starter motor (from under the car there is 2 verticle bolts, get the LONGEST handle socket wrech u can get or this is NEAR inpossible (trust me had to buy one when i did it)
from there there is one more bolt on the block, horizontol at the other end of the starter motor..

4th step Unwire the starter motor, this is pretty self explainatary, copy how the old one was wired up

5th step you can either shield ALL spark cables and crank it over, WARNING, if you dont have leads/the ends shielded you can do some serious damage to things, make sure NONE are touching the chassis, when i did mine i left the leads off and there was arching between the coils on the coil pack, must have been around 30,000V (not much current)

6th step With your new starter motor working fine, bolt the headers back on, put the spark leads back in, and reconnect the battery

PLEASE make sure the bat is always disconnected before you work on the car, its easy to forget after testing if it cranks.... i know it dosnt have one at the moment but yeah

hope this helps