Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's my problem? (car is weak)

mayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VTII
Hey guys,

I have a VT II that is duel fuel. About 6 months ago it became rather impossible to drive it on petrol, ran really rough...had no power, and could barely reach 60kmph. I didn't have money at the time to fix whatever it was, so i just ran it on LPG since, and it was fine. But now performance has dipped a bit on LPG also... doesn't accelerate as good as it used to, struggles to go 80+ kmph or uphill, and occasionally stalls when at low revs (e.g going into a really slow tight corner under braking)

But now i do have some money, and i want to look into this...

These are the error codes i am getting (driven on LPG):

56: Lean Condition under Load
57: Injector Power supply voltage variation
64: LH Oxygen Sensor Lean
65: LH Oxygen Sensor Rich
76: Air/Fuel ratio variation between left/right banks

Fun facts: car has done about 250,000km, and in the last 6 months i have replaced the oxygen sensors, fuel filter, spark plugs and ignition leads.

Any help, much appreciated. Thanks!

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
The good news, all those will be linked to the LPG, get the lpg tuned properly as i'm guessing it's been a while.

All will be seen on an out of tune lpg system (all can be seen on a properly tuned system also as the ecu/pcm doesn't control the LPG flow and doesn't get the feedback it's expecting).
56: Lean Condition under Load
57: Injector Power supply voltage variation
64: LH Oxygen Sensor Lean
65: LH Oxygen Sensor Rich
76: Air/Fuel ratio variation between left/right banks

56 will be linked to how the lpg system is installed, the injectors need to be turned off when LPG is selected, it's usually a pain to get deep enough into the loom to cut the power at a good point so most installers cut it at an easy point and the ecu/pcm gets the power to monitor cut in the process, nothing to be to concerned about.

The bad news, I'm going for a dead fuel pump or blocked fuel filter on the petrol issues.

cor3yz

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Wagon Exec / VK 202 EFI
Getting a lpg service would be a good start. A vapour system like the one I assume you have should be around $77. This will retune the gas mixtures and a professional will notice any faults.
The petrol side of things sounds like the injectors are filthy. When you run on gas all the time the petrol becomes stale and creates a varnish like substance inside the injector rails. This will require a good flushing and Injector reco/clean. Replacing the pump may be necessary too.

mayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VTII
Okay sweet, thanks guys. Sounds like a LPG service will be a good starting point.

What would the going rate be for replacing fuel pump and/or injectors?