Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whats needed to make a getrag into a single mass clutch?

royinthegreyshirt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs dunga ute
Hi all, is there a link to what is needed on here? I'm sure I'm not the only one ever to do it.
Thanks,
Royce

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

royinthegreyshirt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs dunga ute
The reason I ask is, I have the following;
Vp Buick T5 and clutch,
Vs series 1 with ecotec and T5 gearbox and,
Vs series 2 ecotec with a getrag that needs a clutch replacement. Was wondering if I could make something up out of that.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
You could use the VS series 1 flywheel, get it ground flat and then only need to use a new clutch kit.

VP flywheel would also work but would need to be mirror balanced to the original flywheel as the 3800 and Ecotec engines have a different balance.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not sure TBH, never put em side by side to compare.

Is it worth all the effort to put in a used clutch?

royinthegreyshirt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs dunga ute
The T5 in the Buick engine feels aftermarket and decent. Just trying to save a bit of money and utilising what I have. Plus I'm a tight arse.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
All T5's (and T5 clutches) are interchangeable between both Buick and Ecotec, you just need to use the right flywheel for that motor. So yes, you can use the VP T5 on the Ecotec with the VS S1 flywheel. I'm not sure if that's what you were asking, but yeah.

Are you able to put the Getrag and the T5 flywheel and clutches side by side and take a photo? Are they similar?

Last edited:

royinthegreyshirt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs dunga ute
All T5's (and T5 clutches) are interchangeable between both Buick and Ecotec, you just need to use the right flywheel for that motor. So yes, you can use the VP T5 on the Ecotec with the VS S1 flywheel. I'm not sure if that's what you were asking, but yeah.

Are you able to put the Getrag and the T5 flywheel and clutches side by side and take a photo? Are they similar?

Ideally I'd love to be able to put a s1 ecotec flywheel onto my s2 ecotec and use a t5 clutch for my getrag gearbox. I don't think im that lucky.
No, the getrag clutch and gearbox are still in the car and the Buick clutch is still on the engine and gearbox but out of the car.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Ideally I'd love to be able to put a s1 ecotec flywheel onto my s2 ecotec and use a t5 clutch for my getrag gearbox. I don't think im that lucky.
No, the getrag clutch and gearbox are still in the car and the Buick clutch is still on the engine and gearbox but out of the car.

I'm interested to find this out, so if you happen to test fitment between the two (and any other similarities between the flywheel setup) can you report back?