Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's Needed to Turbo Charge a Holden 5.0l V8

Vs_SS_5.0L

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ss commodore
Yeah the costs doesnt really bother me cause im still on my P's, i just wanted to know what i would roughly need so i can save till i get my fulls. Also does anyone have any recommendations for what turbo i should use and any Australian websites??

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Manifolds don't cost that much, just go to a wreakers and get another drivers side - $100 - and bolt it to the passagers side, then run a cross over pipe around behind the motor..

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
I've tuned a turbo 5L. Had too small a turbo T04e and a 286 cam which is massive naturally aspirated cam.

The result was the turbo coming on with insane torque for around 500rpm at 2000rpm mand then totally dying off. Boost control was a huge issue as well due to the exhaust gasses been trapped in the turbine housing from been too small.

They've gone to a Borg Warner s363 now with a 0.88a/r rear. That's a good response turbo and quite affordable too.

For a forged engine and heavier output around 400rwkw plus I'd suggest an S366 or if you have a little more cash S369sx-e which will go 450-500rwkw no issue

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Manifolds don't cost that much, just go to a wreakers and get another drivers side - $100 - and bolt it to the passagers side, then run a cross over pipe around behind the motor..

I did say a decent set........

SLE 500

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Theres also the remote mount turbo option. Placed at the tail end, ive seen a few cars with the mod who have had great results. Bolt a 2L oil tank in the boot and an electric pump to feed the turbo. Add a cooler and fan if temps get high. But a Garrett 35/82 on a stockish block would be plenty. Cover it with a shroud and feed it through the stock air box, no ones the wiser.
Food for thought.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
heres the last one i did GT45y200k china jobby comes on hard never runs out .just waiting for new valvesprings the stock ones at this age are dead and measure under 40lb of seat pressure with no load you cant rev past 5200rpm on boost it becomes an issue around 4000rpm with valves starting to get out of control LOL stock ecu retuned just getting it ready for its 2nd trip to powercruise
12241117_10203838835925957_2349550833787731372_o.jpg

flanker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss hdt aero
T3 or T4 flanged turbo. Read up on compressor maps and pick a turbo that suits how much boost you want to run and when power comes on.
Exhaust manifolds & dump pipe
Intercooler and piping
Wastegate
Oil sender T-peice and sump drain for the turbo oil feed & lines (sump will need to be removed and a hose piece welded on)
Haltech piggy back for the delco as hardly anyone tunes delco anymore + dyno tune
Fuel pump
fuel pressure regulator
Injectors
electronic boost controller
bov
boost gauge
turbo beanie & heat wrapping
battery relocation

I would keep aside $10,000 if you cant do the work yourself, you won't use it all, but that is a realistic budget considering all the costs involved in having it perform properly, and give the power safely. I have read guys spending 2 -3g doing the work themselves, but the end result is a problematic setup full of heat issues, smoking turbos, boost spikes and leaking head gaskets.

5ltr turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr 5ltr turbo manual ute,vs 5ltr Ute on now,vh sle
i been there i turbo'd my 5L. standard internals it made 357kw. its harder than u think to do, ther is fark all space under the bonnet to put a decent size turbo on them. i had a T04Z on ther to start off but it was about 5" outta the bonnet. so i'd say gt35/40 cums on boost hard on mine at bout 2800 and pulls like anything. bosch 044 pump, u can use standard fuel rail and lines just use a rising rate fuel psi reg, a cooler, and u have to use a aftermarkt comp. i used a microtech Lt8, anything else u need to know ask. ill be glad to help u out
I agree it's not as simple as you think and you need to buy a Asian kid to for there small hands ha ha you don't have to change computer I'm using the delco computer it's just hard to find a tuner to do the delco,in perth Alan Gibbs is the man to tune,this is my manual ute running on e85

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191224-072600_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191224-072600_Gallery.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 404