Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's Needed to Turbo Charge a Holden 5.0l V8

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
i was talking to my tuner about throwing a turbo on the old vp v8 , he said u can tune the delco ecu but he said it does take along time to tune if your tuning for boost , he told me i should buy the haltech plug in ecu, also i would like to know where i should run the water lines from eg supply and return

I have seen the process first hand and well no. The learning curve for the first one is huge (Can't see a Haltech system being any easier - more hurdles if anything) but after that the 2nd one (onwards) is quite straight forward with little more than a wide band 02 sensor, data logger and a chip burner.

Reaper

DAMO_5L

ILLEGAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN turbo 5L V8 aero, Rodeo minitruck, VR SS 355
it is a hell of a lot easier puttin a aftermarket computer in so u dont have to root around with the ****ty stock on. plus u can get hand controlers for them and change some of the tune while in the car. and DEFINATLY get a rising rate psi reg cause the crappy stock ones wont pump more fuel when ur in boost and it WILL lean out. but what would i know i have only done it myself.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
I have seen the process first hand and well no. The learning curve for the first one is huge (Can't see a Haltech system being any easier - more hurdles if anything) but after that the 2nd one (onwards) is quite straight forward with little more than a wide band 02 sensor, data logger and a chip burner.

Reaper
if its any different my tuner use the factory delco software to tune the stock computer

mr2mrs2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS / AW11 MR2
re ; sc14 sc

How much work setting up the sc 14 as I have been thing about using a sc12 from a 4gze on my vr?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
put down the pipe and exit the excavator youve dug deep deep deep into the fabric of time

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
SC14 on a 5.0lt, lol

Vs_SS_5.0L

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ss commodore
Roughly how much would i be looking at to turbo my vs 5.0L??

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd say anywhere from about 2 grand upwards. It really depends on how much you can do yourself and what level of equipment you want to use (starting at cheap chinese junk to high end stuff).

In reality you would need turbo manifold (~$2500 to buy for a decent set), turbo $500-$1000 depending on brand, new/used etc, then you need oil supply and oil drain for turbo, waste gate and BOV, intercooler and plumbing to suit, upgraded fuel system (bigger injectors and fuel pump) and then have it all tuned to suit.

How well it runs (and how long it lives) really comes down how well it's tuned and that includes a fuel system that is more than adequate to keep up with demand.

After all that you will probably need to consider driveline upgrades to cope with the increased power output.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Put a Whipple on it.

Whine > Sneeze any day.