Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's the difference between 06 & MY06?

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
G'day everyone,

I've been getting some insurance quotes on a 2006 VZ Calais - but there are two options:

2006 Holden Calais VZ F/INJ 4D Sedan

and...

2006 Holden Calais VZ MY06 F/INJ 4D Sedan

What is the difference between the standard 2006 and the Model Year (MY)06? How do I know which one to select?

Cheers.

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
my 06 is a plated 05 im pretty sure..because my mate bought a 2004 wrx MY05..otherwise dont really know

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
MY stands for Model Year, so if it states MY06, then the model year of that vehicle is 06. Others can be called an 06 even if built in 05 because the compliance plate states that it is an 06. There are two dates on most vehicles, a build date and a compliance date. Australian cars are pretty close with the two dates, but imported cars can be as much as 12 months out.

Dealers will tell you the model year isn't that important when they are trying to sell you a car, but it sure makes a difference when you are trading one.

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
Are there any differences in the price of them?

Yea mate, the premium is a bit higher for the MY06.

Here ownly shows two versions of the 2006 Calais, the V6 and V8. I'm sure either would be fine.....

Car Prices - Search Car Prices & Values - Red Book

EDIT: Just checked carsales, only has the 2006 MY06 model listed, no VZ Calais 2006, so just choose MY06 to be safe?

Yea that's what I was thinkin...

MY stands for Model Year, so if it states MY06, then the model year of that vehicle is 06. Others can be called an 06 even if built in 05 because the compliance plate states that it is an 06. There are two dates on most vehicles, a build date and a compliance date. Australian cars are pretty close with the two dates, but imported cars can be as much as 12 months out.

Dealers will tell you the model year isn't that important when they are trying to sell you a car, but it sure makes a difference when you are trading one.

Cheers mate, that's pretty much cleared it up.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
If you're looking at V8's it makes a big difference in the VZ, because the MY05 was the LS1, and the MY06 was the transition to the L76 (aka 6L).

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
my06 is euro 4 emissions spec, thats about the greatest change,

i use an 06 tune as an alloytec base tune, than modify from that

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Correct. Its to do with emissions. I had the same deal when doing my insurance recently.

tororossi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz exec
Hi all

I am also having trouble deciding how to insure my 2006 VZ. Plugging my car details into various insurers websites for a quote, they give me a choice between:

2006 HOLDEN COMMODORE EXECUTIVE VZ F/INJ 4D SEDAN V6 CYL 3.6L 4 SP AUTOMATIC

or

2006 HOLDEN COMMODORE EXECUTIVE VZ MY06 F/INJ 4D SEDAN V6 CYL 3.6L 4 SP AUTOMATIC

I get the feeling if I pick the wrong one, it may give them wriggle room to avoid any claims...

I have checked the plates and they have a build date of Jun '06, which from what I gather is late VZ...

(Today I went to a holden dealer to ask the same question and they plugged my VIN into their system, brought up my car and there was no mention of MY06!; they were patient with me and tried to help, though)

How can I tell what I have? Thanking you in advance...