Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats the difference between Calais and Berlina?

Travy

A bogan with style
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E & FG XR50 Turbo
Reason I asked it because I'm after a Calais or as you know from other posts Statesman.

A private seller is selling a VZ Berlina with 55,000km for $18,000 2006 model. The thing that gets me interested in it is that its got leather trim. What do you guys think?

If your looking at that, its a VZ, in the VZ the V6 Calais gets the 190kw motor (like the SV6) as opposed to the 175kw in the berlina. Leather in the Calais also.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
If you are upgrading don't go half way IMO. Berlinas are great but if you have an $18000 budget the Calais market is wide open for you. Vys are starting at $14000 private and go to about $20000 fully optioned series 2

But what KM? Here in Perth I cant fine ONE with leather and under 100,000km for under $22,000 sticker price.

I saw a VE berlina at an auction house fixed price 2007, 36,000 km for $23,900 non negotiable. Nice price... if I had the cash. I might be able to lease it. Its also got the Leather option and sunroof :thumbsup:

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
go with what u can afford or wait and find one btw the locking thing when u take it out of park all the VY's have that

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
But what KM? Here in Perth I cant fine ONE with leather and under 100,000km for under $22,000 sticker price.

I saw a VE berlina at an auction house fixed price 2007, 36,000 km for $23,900 non negotiable. Nice price... if I had the cash. I might be able to lease it. Its also got the Leather option and sunroof :thumbsup:

Airfares are cheap now and if you know what you want it can all be done over the phone. When I got mine I was looking interstate and actually put a deposit on one over the phone with the clause that I could get 100% back if it didn't meet my satisfaction. Got my cousin to check it out and send me heaps of pics and it didn't quite scrub up.

This one is a pearler but is V8
Holden Certified Used Cars

I bought mine from this dealer and can't fault them
Holden Certified Used Cars

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If you are still looking at the differences between the Berlina and Calais, there is quite a bit more that has not been mentioned. If you can find one at the right price, the Series 2 Calais is definitely the best choice for VY's.

Calais had dual zone air conditioning, meaning the driver and passenger could select their own separate temperature settings. Calais had velour finish on the lower dash and door trims. VY Series 1 and 2 Calais were quite different as GM wanted to make the Calais a sporting luxury sedan in the Series 2. The wheels on Series one Calais and Berlina were both 16's. The series 2 Calais went to 17's and as mentioned, the suspension was altered to FE 1.5 specs. Leather trim was not standard on any VY Calais but could be optioned on Berlina and Calais. The Calais came standard with reverse parking sensors, the Berlina had to be optioned with them. The Series 2 Calais also had a sports body kit, with SS style sills and lower extensions to front and rear bars. The grille on the Series 1 Berlina and Calais was basically the same, but the Calais had the fog lights and the upper grille has its top bar fitted to the bonnet. Series 2 Berlina got the Series 1 Calais fog light lower grille but kept the Series 1 Grille.

VZ Calais got the full leather as standard, plus the 190 kw Alloytec and the five speed auto. It kept all the good gear from the VY Series 2, including the sports suspension settings. Wheels are still 18's, but have a slightly different design. If the price is right, go for a VZ Calais over a VY. Even though the 190 Alloytech is not a fireball, the five speed auto makes a much nicer job of it than the four speed and the car is more responsive and nicer to drive.