Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's the difference between these two 6.0 SS mid pipes?

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
xr6 turbo tuned to 300 rwkw's. VF SSV
One mid pipe seems to have a heat shield cover over the two resonators and the other doesn't.
They are from VE 6.0 (covered resonators) and VF SS 6.0 non covered resonators. Are they both still the same pipe?

Are the SV6 oem mid pipes the same as the 6.0 oem? I have seen them advertised as fitting both V6 and V8. I thought the SV6 was narrower pipe (2" vs 2.25")
Capture VE VF SS centre pipe.PNG
Capture VE SS 6.0 sedan.PNG

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
One mid pipe seems to have a heat shield cover over the two resonators and the other doesn't.
They are from VE 6.0 (covered resonators) and VF SS 6.0 non covered resonators. Are they both still the same pipe?

Are the SV6 oem mid pipes the same as the 6.0 oem? I have seen them advertised as fitting both V6 and V8. I thought the SV6 was narrower pipe (2" vs 2.25")
View attachment 232204View attachment 232205
Basically, yes. SV6, SS, SSV and Redline VE/VF Holden factory mid pipes are 2.25"

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
Basically, yes. SV6, SS, SSV and Redline VE/VF Holden factory mid pipes are 2.25"

Which ones have the heat shield around the resonators? I know it's pretty trivial but I wonder why some have the shield and others don't.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Which ones have the heat shield around the resonators? I know it's pretty trivial but I wonder why some have the shield and others don't.
I think they're VF, I haven't seen mid sections on VE's like that.
There are also differences at the rear end of the mid section, 2 different methods of connecting the mufflers, ball/socket clamp, or flat flange.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
They're not heat shields, it's an open chamber resonator in VF and the VE type are hot dogs. The restriction in the stock midpipe is the section between the resonators is 2" and the flex joints on the flange type are 1 7/8". The resonators aren't restrictive internally and are virtually 2.25" straight through.

Last edited:

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think they're VF, I haven't seen mid sections on VE's like that.
There are also differences at the rear end of the mid section, 2 different methods of connecting the mufflers, ball/socket clamp, or flat flange.
They're not heat shields, it's an open chamber resonator in VF and the VE type are hot dogs. The restriction in the stock midpipe is the section between the resonators is 2" and the flex joints on the flange type are 1 7/8". The resonators aren't restrictive internally and are virtually 2.25" straight through.
So the open chamber resonators would have less flow restriction than the more conventional hotdogs? Would the open chamber type be louder than the twin hotdogs set up?

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
At the moment I have the twin hotdog type on my VF SSV series 1 wagon. But it has the rigid rear flange connection and since I have after market rear mufflers the right doesn't quite line up, when I tighten it the right exhaust tip hits the plastic. That is why I am trying to get a mid pipe with the flex type connector as it will remedy this. I take it that all of these mid pipes will have the same restrictions, ie one will not be better than another?

It's a shame they dropped down to 2" between the front muffler and hotdogs, then went back to 2.25". Why not make it 2.25" all the way?

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
Is this just a way to make the same exhaust cheaper by Holden?