Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's the go with VE handbrakes?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Seems like I forever need to adjust my handbrake. Is this normal. I adjust the shoes and they don't adjust up much, meaning I also need to do the cables regularly. Only did it a couple of months ago and now I need to do it again.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Think yourself lucky you don't have the epb that's in my WN.

That bastard of a contraption that I no longer use.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
To many handbrake turns? :D

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I only needed to adjust mine two or three times in ten years.
How are you adjusting the cables?

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Having an auto I have not used the handbrake in the 6 years I have owned it until last week. It surprised me that it doesn't work all that well. However it is due for a service in the next few weeks and I will mention it to them.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
and part 2
Yeah thanks seen that fellas vid when we replaced the diff. Wish he went into a bit more detail about how he got them back on. Mine still have linings.
I only needed to adjust mine two or three times in ten years.
How are you adjusting the cables?
It's been like it since I bought it. It's like the cables stretch. There is hardly any adjustment needed at the wheels before they bind. The handbrake has two adjustment points, one at the rotor, and one inside the cab. I usually do both as the shoe adjustment is never enough.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Yeah thanks seen that fellas vid when we replaced the diff. Wish he went into a bit more detail about how he got them back on. Mine still have linings.

It's been like it since I bought it. It's like the cables stretch. There is hardly any adjustment needed at the wheels before they bind. The handbrake has two adjustment points, one at the rotor, and one inside the cab. I usually do both as the shoe adjustment is never enough.
yes it a pia job losh i know its easy to adjust the cable instead of removing the wheels caliper/rotors but if it needs adjusting every few months than something not right

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
yes it a pia job losh i know its easy to adjust the cable instead of removing the wheels caliper/rotors but if it needs adjusting every few months than something not right
We dismantled one side early this year, when we replaced the bearing and couldn't see anything wrong with it. I'm thinking when funds allow I will book it in and have new shoes fitted. I couldn't find any vids that actually shows you how to get them back on once you get them apart. I imagine for a tech that's done a few it's probably only an hour per side.