Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's this noise?

Pete SS

Resident Pomme
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS M6
When I turn the steering wheel, I get creaking noise coming from somewhere in the front suspension.

Has anyone got any idea what it could be? I'm hopeing it's just a worn bush/rubber.

I did a vid on my phone so hopefuly that will help diagnose it.

stevesvx2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore v6
yeah if its bushing then it would be easy enough to visually diagnose,
if its not that then maybe your power steering rack.
try put your stock spring in and see if it helps at all

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
That boat be creaking. Nah seriously that pretty loud for a phone to hear that over the engine. I was going to say link pins but no way now, maybe sway bar???

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Big U shaped bar that is held to the chassis in front of the engine and connects to the link pins. But this is a huge guess.

I had a less loud noise coming from my car not long ago, definately heard it when going slow, turned out to be lack of grease on the strut bar to chassis bush.

Your best bet is to take it to a suspension mechanic and get them to do an inspection. They are usually quite cheap.

MY-TIN-SHED

OLD HOLDEN PARTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S UTE
http://www.phoenixmechanical.com.au/pages/vx_commodore_body.html

Faults - VX Body

When I turn the steering wheel, I get creaking noise coming from somewhere in the front suspension.

Has anyone got any idea what it could be? I'm hopeing it's just a worn bush/rubber.

I did a vid on my phone so hopefuly that will help diagnose it.

Pete SS

Resident Pomme
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS M6
great site there :)

My ute was built in oct 2002 so it can't be the tab on the firewall.

I've bought the bushes for the sway bar so I'll change them this weekend, if that dosesn't work I'll try changeing the hydro bushes on the tension bar.

Pete SS

Resident Pomme
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS M6
I did the sway bar bushes but that didn't fix it, so I took it to Pedders and they told me it's the strutt top mounts (and found a million and one other things that in their opinion should be done asap).

Other than the standard ones, what other uprated ones are available?

veeque92

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman SeriesII 5.7
I know that sound, your strut top bearings are ****ed mate, if you get someone to turn your wheel while you watch your spring you will most likely see the actual spring move. Mine **** emselves because i had dodgy springs in it apparenlty, (I didnt know that till my mechanic told me) he put a new one in and it lasted avout 12 months, I pulled the struts out last week and the casings were split, Just get two new ones, a two hour jub at the most and its done.

Mine didnt last because apparently my springs didnt have the additional tracking coil to hold them in properly so the strut top bearings were constantly getting bashed.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
I had that EXACT SAME SOUND on my VN wagon when turning. I was scared to heck to drive it around and feared the worst. It was the tie rod ends. Give it a shot. There about $13 for each side, and takes about 15/20 mins to fit. You can pick then up from repco.