Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats this pipe?

Pudge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0
The hose is a transmission breather.
Tie rod end boot cover.
Can't remember the name of the other part.
Someone will know the name.
thank you so much mate, ill order the tie rod and put on in. does the breather mater? can i just tuck it up and away for now? i cant find where the pipe connects to :(

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
The steering rack is leaking. Depending on how much you care about the car and the leak will dictate how you choose to fix it.

Also, that's not a tie-rod. It's a link pin. But chances are the tie-rods are also stuffed. And since you're going to have to remove the tie-rod on the side the steering rack boot is leaking you may aswell replace it anyway.

The breather hose is disconnected from the box or just hanging loose? The breather attaches to the box in the middle at the top. Probably easiest to get to from the drivers side.

Pudge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0
The steering rack is leaking. Depending on how much you care about the car and the leak will dictate how you choose to fix it.

Also, that's not a tie-rod. It's a link pin. But chances are the tie-rods are also stuffed. And since you're going to have to remove the tie-rod on the side the steering rack boot is leaking you may aswell replace it anyway.

The breather hose is disconnected from the box or just hanging loose? The breather attaches to the box in the middle at the top. Probably easiest to get to from the drivers side.
the hose is just hanging loose towards the ground to the right side of the transmission, 2 weeks ago ive had the thermostat, water pump and all pullies changed. but i was told in the vz it is easier to drop the transmission to change the thermostat so it cost more. this is Through midas car care centre.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
From memory it's meant to go through a clamp which is attached to one of the bellhousing bolts. They've probably just neglected to re-attach it. If it's convenient i'd just drop back in and get them to fix it up. Better than you scrabbling around under there trying to work out what theyve done.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I thought I'd replied to this already? and I had....

Merged threads

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
How many k's on the car? The leaking steering rack will need either a new seal or the rack could be worn, which will need replacement.
Either way to replace the seal the rack has to come out. That will require a wheel alignment when finished. Also, while the rack is out, might as well replace the dust cover over the tie rod end. Leaving it like it is will allow the dust to enter the joint and wear it out very quickly.
All the jobs could be done at one time to save time (and labour if someone else is doing it).
The oil leaking from the rack (picture 2 in the original post) is power steering fluid, so until you get that done, keep an eye on the PS fluid level in the plastic reservoir unde the bonnet. If it starts to drop quickly, time to fix the rack.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Those leaks are old.
Car really needs a proper fix up and make over.
You can’t leave things go as they only get worse and cost more to fix in the long run.