Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's this? (V6)

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Hey all,

In the process of stripping the VS's car audio gear I tried to pull the 12v power cable through the firewall a bit too hard and snapped this metal thing with a hose coming out of it - wondering what it is, and can the car still be started/driven without whatever I broke?

Won't fix it since this car's just going to be for spares now but want to keep it running weekly to save battery etc.

Pictured in one is where it's snapped and the other is the other end of the hose

Any ideas appreciated :idea:

Attachments

• DSC00070.jpg
    DSC00070.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 454
  • DSC00072.jpg
    DSC00072.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 484

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
That is the heater tap.It lets hot coolant from the engine go through to the heater under the dash.Where that one is broken is a pretty common thing to happen when they get old.I bought a new one from Holden a while back,around $50.You can temporarily bypass it.See the other heater hose under the one that broke ,just join it back to the engine where the broken one joins the engine.All you have to do is undo the one that broke at the engine and remove it ,then undo the other hose at the heater tap(the one thats not broken) and connect it back to the engine where the broken one came from.I wouldn't leave it bypassed for too long though(a couple of weeks is fine).The heater core under the dash will rust out in no time with no coolant in it.(Its a big job replacing the heater core)The heater will blow cold air with these hoses not connected.

Last edited:

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
i got one from repco the other day, just under $25. they all break over time especially when you use water in the radiator instead of coolant.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Thanks for replying guys... I better start using coolant for the wifes vs LOL...

So it's for the heater, then if I just started the car in the cold air setting would I expect nothing to happen, or as soon as I start the car will all of the water from the radiator squirt out causing an explosion

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
fix it before you drive or your car will not last long. it really doesnt take that long.

i was at repco at 8am.

home by 8:15

on my way to work by 8:30. its just 4 hoses and obviously 4 clamps

to_easy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore
my car was like this when i got it. It is bypassed how would you check if it is still alright if i put it back together what will happen

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
You can bypass it with just a bit of tube, either bypassing the heater tap or the whole heater itsself. Bypassed the whole heater on my VR because the heater core was leaking anyway, and i broke the heater tap changing my brake lines. VS has no heater tap, so water is always flowing through the heater core.