Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what's with ls1 and pulleys

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Yeah belts can make the same noise, had this issue not long ago. My last Ls1 did it, changed the idler pully and it was fine. this time I did the same and noise was still there. put a new belt on and noise was gone.

gm1961

Reaction score
you sure some little dry soap rubbed on the inner part of the belt wont help

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
The factory LS1 pulleys all suck, cheap crappy plastic ones. Are you replacing them with genuine or after market pulleys? The after market steel ones will be significantly better and should last a while.

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
I was thinking to try that stuff you can spray on noisy belts? Or should I get a dry soap cake?

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
The factory LS1 pulleys all suck, cheap crappy plastic ones. Are you replacing them with genuine or after market pulleys? The after market steel ones will be significantly better and should last a while.
Not sure what was put on last time

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Before you do anything, splash water on the belt whilst car idling. If noise disappears then its the belt squeaking.

Also check the main idler pulley and check the tension of the belt.

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1

Plastic or steel is irrelevant as both pulleys use the same type of sealed bearing..
Also. of the 4 idler and tensioner pulleys on an LS1, only 1 of them is plastic which is the main belt tensioner. The other 3 are steel. You can buy an aftermarket main belt tensioner in steel if you want, but why when it has the same type of sealed bearing as the plastic pulley? The only disadvantage with the plastic pulleys is that you can't press out their bearings when they go bad as they are retained in an integral collar that will break off, so instead you must replace the entire pulley.

Of the aftermarket steel pulley for the main belt tensioner that I have seen, it's a Chinese-made and I have very little faith in Chinese product, and sourcing a quality non-Chinese one still ends up with the same type of sealed bearing.
When I swapped my A/C pulley bearings, I deliberately replaced them with Japanese bearings. I believe the Nuline brand are OE, and if so, they've lasted 300K. The other 2 main belt idler and plastic tensioner pulley bearings are both still fine. :)

zgLJSG.jpg

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
Yep nothing wrong with OEM plastic pulleys.

As an update I made my occasional cold start chirp go away by washing the belt and front of the engine. Used a squirt of dish detergent diluted in a spray bottle, sprayed the belt and pulley grooves (avoid spraying on bearings and alternator), then rinsed well. Maybe they just need an occasional "shampooing" to get the crud off.