Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what's wrong with fibreglass kits?

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
anyway like the thread title says what is wrong with fibreglass bodykits ive heard alot of bad things and none good lol so i was just wondering why

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
What bad things have you heard?
My only concern with fiberglass kits is that they can ripple over time with heat, but that's about it!

235rwkw

Reaction score
they crack easily when knocked, they chip easier with stones, they are heavier than plastic

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
I traked dowm mostly genuine plastic kit for my vp ,5 years on all of the plastic parts were in perfgect condition , but the two fiberglass pieces rear spoiler and bonnet scoop had chips and were starting to fall apart
In short fiber glass is crap,it looks crappy and cheap ,and often bad fitting

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
What bad things have you heard?
My only concern with fiberglass kits is that they can ripple over time with heat, but that's about it!

ive heard pretty much what these guys have just said ppl mainly say DONT GET THEM lol so bad idea than??? just go genuine??

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Wonder where you can get aftermarket plastic kits?
Would hate to think how much it would be to get a VL Walky kit in plastic or an Aero kit or any other kit wich requires alot of fabrication work, wich i spose is why its all done in fibreglass.

Last edited:

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
yeah it would be good to know ey plenty of fibre glass ones on ebay but i think i should just wait for a cheap genunine one

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
yeah it would be good to know ey plenty of fibre glass ones on ebay but i think i should just wait for a cheap genunine one

Are you chasing a kit for the lumina?
I would give holden spare parts a buzz, im sure they would have something somewhere!

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
If your going for a kit, get plastic. Fibreglass tends to be to stiff and hard so it doesnt flex. If you hit a hard bump or something, they tend to crack at the weaker points very easily.

Not to mention majority of the kits dont bolt up properlly in the first place so it takes a bit of messing about to get them right, by the time youve done that youve probally cracked it yourself.

PhantomVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV e2 Clubsport R8
Grennan is spot on.

I bought a fibreglass bodykit for my VS last year, spent weeks just trying to get it to fit, drilling holes, making brackets, filling imperfecions in the mould. once painted and clear-coated i found that the 'flat' areas were mostly slightly warped and reflected in every direction - completly contrasting with the rest of the car. (even if you finally manage to fit the thing properly)

Once fitted, cracks can appear in the weaker sections, and a slight knock will cause more cracks to develop and spread until you take them off to repair and repaint them. - then, oops, one of your drill holes won't line up anymore..

In short, fiberglass kits will keep you busy and constantly repairing them. I would not dream of putting a fiberglass kit on my car now and I laugh when i see them on other cars.

I would save yourself the labour and costs and stick with genuine parts. - even if you need to spend more, you will save in the long run.