Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel alignment steering wobble issues

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Depends what you call hard. The 235/45R17 is 29-32psi on the placard for the fronts. A shop once filled these to 45 and the ride was just horrible. It would have worn the centers out and killed the rears in no time with the IRS as the tire rode much more on it's inner shoulder.
The shop then argued (saved face perhaps) in telling me this was best. Rubbish. The steering was noticeably lighter indicating less contact with the road as the front tires rode more on their centers.
I'll always choose the advice of the car and tire engineers who write the placards over any tire fitter.
No surprise that my tires wear evenly down the the RW indicators.

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2
My understanding is the recommended pressures is so the car is more comfortable, and makes the manufactures suspension feel softer/better ride.
Having that much difference between the drivers and passengers seems odd. the car will steer to the softer side.
I would inflate each side to the same pressure, and if it then pulls or steers one way, you need a wheel alignment.
I have 18's and run 40 psi in the front and 38 psi in the rears. With higher pressures like that you have more sidewall strength and probably get better fuel economy.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
My understanding is the recommended pressures is so the car is more comfortable, and makes the manufactures suspension feel softer/better ride.

this

I always go a few PSI over, be sure to inflate your tyres cold rather than hot too.

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
While comfort might be a consideration, tire pressures are directly related to load and to place an even amount of force across the width of the tread which ensures the maximum amount of traction (and wear of course). If you've ever tuned tire pressures with a thermometer, you'd know that even heat/load across the tread is directly related to best traction.
It's also why the recomended pressure goes up when you add weight to the vehicle.

mitsuko

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
Wheel balance and allighment or tyre pressure.. Could even be shot bushes..

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Plugging is not illegal, providing it's the tread and not sidewall.
Any sidewall repairs are illegal.

Tyre plugging is illegal....has been for 10 years or more....The posting EYY put up is correct....it also protects the steel belts inside the carcus from water being trapped and rusting them out, therefore causing premature failure of the casing

Sidewall patching is illegal.....there is a process (which I have never done) where it can be done legally, however due to the cost of it, it is only done with truck tyres and larger LT tyres, not passenger/4X4 tyres and smaller LT tyres.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Depends what you call hard. The 235/45R17 is 29-32psi on the placard for the fronts. A shop once filled these to 45 and the ride was just horrible. It would have worn the centers out and killed the rears in no time with the IRS as the tire rode much more on it's inner shoulder.
The shop then argued (saved face perhaps) in telling me this was best. Rubbish. The steering was noticeably lighter indicating less contact with the road as the front tires rode more on their centers.
I'll always choose the advice of the car and tire engineers who write the placards over any tire fitter.
No surprise that my tires wear evenly down the the RW indicators.

Tyre pressures are a fickle thing....The best method is to look at wear patterns.....inside and outside edges, too low....centre of the tread, too high....

Engineers don't pay for your tyres, so they place on the placard the best pressure for a comfortable ride, not for maximum tyre life.....

At the end of the day, if your tyres are wearing evenly at the pressures you set, it's obvious it's suited to you.....it mightn't be suited to the next person though

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
There is still plenty of plugging being done..

Ive had a few tyres plugged/repaired and they were fine. As far as pressure goes check out the sidewall of the tyre it will prob tell you the max pressure and load. I generally go a few psi under max pressure, eg. my 235 45 17 say max 42 so I go 38, and get even wear and good tyre life.

Dont forget to rotate every so often and if they have uneven wear a balance and alignment would be a good idea. If after the steering wheel still vibrates id be looking at everything between the wheels and steering column.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Engineers don't pay for your tyres, so they place on the placard the best pressure for a comfortable ride, not for maximum tyre life.....

god thats such rubbish.

tyre pressure determins the contact patch of the tread on the road, you of all people should know that. certain width tyres need an optimum pressure to ensure the contact patch is flat and even, to low and youre dragging the edges, too high and youre dragging the center. so yeah, the optimum pressure is directly related to tyre life, since it means youre wearing your tyre evenly and cleanly... it has 4/5ths of fk-all to do with "comfort"

OP, if you pump the other tyre up to 40psi and notice your wobble is back, its possible that the rolling resistance from the flat tyre is picking up the slack for poor toe-in. so youll need an alignment. just pump it up and if it makes the problem come back then get it aligned.

it may feel like its fixed, but it may actually just be masking a toe problem which will chew out both your tyres super-quickly if not addressed.