Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel Bearing Problems

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I changed over everything with all new parts for the first couple of times, but now i have given up and just change the larger bearing, which gets rid of the noise for a couple of months.
I am willing to repair it properly by replacing the strut assembly, as i am now pretty sure it is a bent stub axle.
How much is a second hand strut assembly (without the spring) from a wreckers, and is it much of a hassle to put on?

The last one I bought was $50, < 12 months ago but it depends. That was with the spring but no disc. I suspect that the price would not have been different with the disc.

It's straightforward to swap (if you can change wheel bearings, you can change the strut) but ideally you should swap the old strut insert into the new housing to ensure, at the least, that both sides match. That requires the use of a spring compressor to disassemble/assemble the strut.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
mate if you are up for the hunt then try the local dump.
I live in a little town and get heaps of vn/p parts for cheap and a couple years ago in rockhampton the scrap metal bin at the dump was a gold mine of bits.

haha yeh one dump here had a complete vn they wrecked and then crushed (heaps of good parts still on it) then they had a vs there WITH engin and diff etc ,,was in a roll over but still they crushed the whole thig cause they were too stingy to sell it off a little cheply. Would have got more sellng parts a little cheaper then they were asking then what they gotin scrap!!

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
i got a whole front end here for about $10.
Both struts complete k frame and steering rack.

there are atleast 1 more vn's in the pile, but i got my eyes on the burnt out vt.

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
haha yeh one dump here had a complete vn they wrecked and then crushed (heaps of good parts still on it) then they had a vs there WITH engin and diff etc ,,was in a roll over but still they crushed the whole thig cause they were too stingy to sell it off a little cheply. Would have got more sellng parts a little cheaper then they were asking then what they gotin scrap!!

lol...thats why they didn't sell it,it's worth more to them crushed ready for recycling,they are paying big dollars now apparently,i'm in the proccess of stripping 2 VN's and selling just the shells,they reckon they will give me $200 each shell....i'll believe it when i see the $$$ in my hands.but thats my take on it,the price of steel today and why they are paying big $$'s for car bodies