Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel bearings!!

Lerjgfyi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore vy
Hello all I have vy ute and I need to do set of rear wheel bearings I was just wondering can someone explain how remove and install the bearings in detail it would be very much appreciated

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Do you have access to tools and a machine shop with a good press? The rear wheel hub bearing is a press fit and bloody tight.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Download the Holden VT/VZ Workshop manual using the link below and follow the menus to the VY/Rear Suspension Service Operations section. Note size is 2.69 Gb so don't download to your phone!!!

Last edited:

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Assuming solid axle (i have never looked under a VY ute)
Remove axle
At this point you can press the bearing and keeper ring off HOWEVER as my Son found out, when it goes it goes with an almighty bang and scared the beegeesus out of him so for safety sake
Place axle bearing keeper ring over a solid jaw vice and use a hammer and cold chisel to chop the keeper ring off (use safety glasses and ppe because steel pieces may fly off)
The bearing is then EASY to press off
Remove seal and fit new seal (cannot remember if seal or bearing goes first, ) then slide new bearing into place and knock into place with a piece of steel tube or press it, whatever you feel is easiest
Press new keeper ring into place
Job done.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
All the 3rd gen (VT-VY) utes were IRS if I'm not mistaken.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Definitely IRS less the Crewman and tonner with solid axles.
Download the manual - everything you need to know is there in Section 4A Para 2.3

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
They're best left to a workshop to be honest, I used to do them quite often back when I was an apprentice. I actually have a CV hub puller for these in my tool box, there is a spline hub thing that connects to the CV shaft that has to be pulled off, or you can gas axe it and hit it with a hammer. Then you can hit the hub out but you need a big press for these, I used to use a big 1.5m wide 60T Servex. Then you need a real deep press tool to press the hub back in because of the spline section on the back side of the hub which has a 30mm nut holding it on with a special lock washer.