Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel change.. is speedo out..?

VN Lukey

BT1, the way to go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VN S1
hey guys.. i have a VN S1 V6 and i have put on the 15X7 interceptors with 225/60/15 on them all round and im a bit worried that its gonna throw out my speedo as they are a lot bigger than the stock wheels the the VN came out with.... i have a GPS and it tells me the speed im going but should i be going by the GPS?.. its the GPS completely accurate no matter what your car is rolling on..
thanks.

kind regards..

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
just sit a stock wheel next to one of the wheels on your car, if they are about the same height your speedo shouldn't be out.

Smallies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 3.8/ VN Calais 5.0/ VY Wagon
And even if the wheels are slightly different sized, it wount be too far out. Maybe 2-3 km.

Nothing to really worry about IMO

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
you have a 3% tolerance from the stock wheel and tire rolling diameter, and yes a gps is acurate in any car as it measures the speed of the vehicle from the satellite not by anything in the car

hombrewvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN S2
forgive me if im wrong but dosnt the speedo run off the gear box as i was doing a skid (legally offcourse) and the speedo was telling me i was doing about 80K...... or is my car just possesed..... lol

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
forgive me if im wrong but dosnt the speedo run off the gear box as i was doing a skid (legally offcourse) and the speedo was telling me i was doing about 80K...... or is my car just possesed..... lol

erm, yes. but the gearbox is connected (via tailshaft, diff ect) to the wheels, and their diameter will offset the road speed to the trans speed...

Edit: thus doing burn-out (legal or not) wheels are turning, car thinks it's moving, speedo needle does a little dance... No need for an exorcist :D

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
If you ever want to check tyre sizes out before you buy then this is the link for you:

Tire size calculator

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking

you shouldnt be watching the speedo when your doing burnouts thats how people crash :yeah: