Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel nut torque, rattle guns, etc

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Put the nuts on a few turns by hand to make sure they aren't cross threaded and then run them up snug with the rattler but stop before they go crazy tight. It's easy enough to do

This man talks sense, unlike me, i use the two grunt method. One grunt while in the air, one on the ground. Prefer electric coz of portability. Do it by hand you will get a feel for it.

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
Milwaukee m18 gen 2 impact wrench, comes with torque settings, perfect for changing tyres, battery last for ages, easy to store, and perfect for road side use or track day events

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
This man talks sense, unlike me, i use the two grunt method. One grunt while in the air, one on the ground. Prefer electric coz of portability. Do it by hand you will get a feel for it.

TBH - I just run them up with the rattler. Done it often enough not to over tighten them.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
I have a 12 volt rattle gun from SCA, $50 and it smashes them off no worries, and no need to worry about a flat battery if you get stuck on the side of the road. I tighten them with a torque wrench though.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I have a $250 compressor from SCA that i bought over 6 years ago. I've used it for everything from taking wheels off to painting cars/boats.

TBH you could spend $500 and set yourself up with either cordless or air powered. I bought a $60 gun with the compressor and it's fine for around home.

As for cordless, i use DeWalt.

This one

FREE SHIPPING — DEWALT Cordless Impact Wrench — 18V, 1/2in., Model# DC822KL | Cordless Impact Wrenches| Northern Tool + Equipment

and

this one

FREE SHIPPING — DEWALT Cordless Impact Wrench Kit — 18 Volt XRP, 1/2in., Model# DCF059KL | Cordless Impact Wrenches| Northern Tool + Equipment

The smaller one has enough grunt to remove staked driveshaft nuts.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I use power tools to remove wheel nuts but always fit and tighten by hand. I've had cross threaded nuts and over-tightened nuts from tyre outfits. These days I only use reputable shops that do it correctly with a torque wrench as I do at home.

A battery unit is great if it's for occasion use. Air driven can be a PITA as you need to drag out hoses, very noise and bulky and overkill IMHO unless you use other air tools. Don't bother with the smaller compressors from the likes of supercheap as they really are only good for driving small air tools, definitely no good for a 1/2" rattle gun or decent die grinder. Definitely no good for painting.

I use a $150 SCA special compressor at home, for taking wheels on and off with a 1/2" drive rattle gun.....Need a little more air volume, just set up an old car gas tank between the compressor and air hose outlet....Works a treat. IMA, I also have a larger volume air compressor for painting and continous use of air tools like sanders and die grinders.

As for air pressure control.....a water trap.....They serve the purpose of trapping water (to a point) and are adjustable for air pressure output.

As previously mentioned by other members, do wheel nuts with a rattle gun, until the nut hits the wheel face, then either tighten with a torque wrench, or a good old fashioned cross style wheel brace, if you don't wish to purchase a torque bar.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I use a $150 SCA special compressor at home, for taking wheels on and off with a 1/2" drive rattle gun.....Need a little more air volume, just set up an old car gas tank between the compressor and air hose outlet....Works a treat. IMA, I also have a larger volume air compressor for painting and continous use of air tools like sanders and die grinders.

As for air pressure control.....a water trap.....They serve the purpose of trapping water (to a point) and are adjustable for air pressure output.

As previously mentioned by other members, do wheel nuts with a rattle gun, until the nut hits the wheel face, then either tighten with a torque wrench, or a good old fashioned cross style wheel brace, if you don't wish to purchase a torque bar.

TBH I don't find it much quicker using a rattle gun, I use a wheel brace, put it on a couple of turns and then spin it and nip em all up, then use the torque wrench to tighten fully.

munter000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon
Do it by hand you will get a feel for it.
I agree, the feel is important.....sort of muscle memory. Your brain might be thinking cricket while your hands are putting the wheel back on.

TBH I don't find it much quicker using a rattle gun, I use a wheel brace, put it on a couple of turns and then spin it and nip em all up, then use the torque wrench to tighten fully.
I agree again....do we all need a rattle gun or is it a case of want a rattle gun?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Run them up with the gun and check tighten by feel with the wheel brace or what ever else you will be using on the side of the road at 2am with that flat tyre.
No point in doing them up and being unable to remove them with what ever tool you carry.