Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel Wobble

boobotam

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have noticed that my wheels (steering) wobbles at and above 80km/h.

I had the wheels balanced as I thought that would be the obvious problem, but no cigar! so I thaught the tyre shop may have not done it properly so I rotated the tyres front to rear, to see if that would help, again no cigar!

Is this a common problem? could all my wheels be out of balance or is it something more serious like front struts/tie rod ends?

Hopefully some one has had a similar problem?

Thanks in advance Matt

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Does it move side to side when it is parked? Grab the wheel and try to move it as if you are wiggling it to take it off. Mine did this and needed a full steering column replaced under warranty. Dunno what the problem was, the dude looked at it and said 'Yeah, I don't think it is supposed to do that'.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Your tyres are most likely unevenly worn.
Jack the car up, spin the tyre with ur hand about 2-3mm above it & see if the tyre gets closer or further away from ur hand.

boobotam

Reaction score
Does it move side to side when it is parked? Grab the wheel and try to move it as if you are wiggling it to take it off. Mine did this and needed a full steering column replaced under warranty. Dunno what the problem was, the dude looked at it and said 'Yeah, I don't think it is supposed to do that'.

Nah all good on that front!!!! man that would have been a worry!

boobotam

Reaction score
Your tyres are most likely unevenly worn.
Jack the car up, spin the tyre with ur hand about 2-3mm above it & see if the tyre gets closer or further away from ur hand.

The tyres are brand new thats what gets me! and the rears which are a lot older do the exact same thing.

I was thinking shocks, might have to take it to pedders and have them do the test, perhaps the struts are no longer dampening? however they seem ok when you bounce the car

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Just take it in for the 28 pt suspension check!

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
yeh, lets not get started on pedders 28 point steering and suspension rip off

Take it to a trusted mechanic, someone whose NOT going to rip you off and whose going to actually quote what's wrong.

But to be honest EVERY VZ I've driven (and theres been countless from Exec to SS and in between) have had a wobble of some description. I know on mine, apart from tyre condition, the front hubs have massive play in them which causes a wobble at speed.

Depends on kays too I guess and things wearing out, the Zeds are getting to that age now. Mines needed tyres all round, radius rod bushes, front hubs, shocks all round and Im sure theres more to come :smoking:

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Could be the wheel bearing......... common. If it's under braking then it's the front control arm bushes usually.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
yup thats the castor bushes I needed to do, the genuine gel filled ones just don't cut it