Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wheels

Ayden450

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Maloo
Hello, so i bought a new set of wheels for my ute and i got 20x8.5 on the front and 20x10 on the rear, i saw them on another ute and thought they looked sick as. Well today i was told by someone in a parking lot that my wheels on the rear are illegal because they stick out past the body of the car. Ive had a look on vicroads and it turns out the guy was right, so my question is why was i allowed to buy them if theyre no good. Has anyone had any issues with having staggered wheels?

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
You can buy a gun, doesn't make it legal to shoot someone.....

Ayden450

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Maloo
true. looking down the wheel doesnt stick out, but straight down the profile it does. Guess ill go try to get a road worthy.

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I would think you'd only just be outside legal, plenty of people run 9.5 rears with no dramas. But yeah, RWC is your best bet, make sure of the legality either way.

Gambel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Wagon
Always gotta check your offset mate, every car is different.
I've got 22x10 on the rear of my wagon and they sit inside the guards.
45 or a 42 offset is what ve's run.

1BEAST2NV

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 (MY09) VE R8 6.2ltr M6 475rwhp
Id say who ever sold u them should of known to giv therear a bigger offset (depending on the style of the rim) so they tuck under the guards....

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
when you bought the wheels did you specifically say "i want it legal" ?
because if you did you may be able to get legal ones installed by having a friendly chat with them.
dont go nuts at them, but explain your side and see what they can do.

on my other car I had a wheel/tyre combo installed, but then 3 months later it failed a pink slip because load rating on the tyre wasnt high enough. took it back to seller and said that I asked for the work to be legal 100% (which I did say originally) and they organised a swap to the correct tyres no drama (actually got a small upgrade at no cost).

but nothing to lose by having a chat to retailer... even if you have to pay for a little labour, Im sure that if wheels arent marked there shouldnt be an issue getting the correct offset.

Ayden450

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Maloo
Yeah, i made it clear i wanted it all legal, he said no worries bro. Im going in for a road worthy monday afternoon so ill find out then whether or not i have to go back and have a chat to the guy.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I think a wise thing to do - and this is just in general, not specifically for this incidence - is to turn around and walk away quickly if ANY retailer says the words "No worries, bro".

If you didn't get the no worries, bro bit in writing, then you likely have no legal leeway in having it rectified - however if the RWC is rejected, then it would still DEFINITELY be worth asking the question.