Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] When to upgrade to a V8?

-Jonno-

CHAPPY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU
hey everyone.

As many people i want to own a V8 at some stage. The question is when is the right time?

Im 19 and have a vu V6 ute that i use for work but id like to upgrade to a VY ss for a few years before i need to buy a 4WD.

It will obviously cost me more for rego and insurance and more for fuel.

Would it be best to wait another year or 2 until im earning more money or just go for wat i want and manage my money around it?

it might sound stupid but i want one so bad but dont no if its the right time haha

Wats everyone else think?
When did you buy urs?

cheers

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
first of all.. grow up.. there is no right time, its almost like your asking when is the right time to have sex or get married...... if you can afford the slight increase in running cost.. then go for it... but if your living on a shoe string budget as it is.. then dont..

also you say "few years before i need to buy a 4WD. ".... why will you need to buy a 4WD??

-Jonno-

CHAPPY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU
chill dude, all i wanna no if people think its better to wait until i have a higher income or to jus go for it and not save so much? wat do other people do my age? im moving back to a farm in 3 years and need a 4wd.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
it might sound stupid

Oh it does.

What is it with people unable to make a decision for themselves so they feel the need to ask random strangers on the internet?

If you are incapable of making this grown up decision all by yourself, the answer is clear, you are not mature enough to own one.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
most modern V8's aren't a lot more expensive to run than a 6. Probably the biggest additional cost will be insurance for an under 25 y/o with a V8.
Do your sums, if you can afford it, then do it.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Gonna post just so you know not everyone on this forum is just gonna hang crap on you lol.

At the end of the day you make the decision yourself, but it's nice to get opinions of others and just thoughts and other things to consider, its actually a really smart thing to do asking people rather than impulse going out and doing it. Depends on your priorities though, if the car ranks pretty then do it.

Don't get too caught up in considering every single pro and con, make sure you have fun too, sus it out if it works then don't stuff around do it.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
A brand new six makes more power than my holden V8 :(

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
well my input says ... since your 19... Do you want to start saving up for a house and getting your life in order?.. or are you still trying to hoon around to impress the girls?

Personally i say screw the V8, save for a house get your life sorted, and then if you have money to throw around then go for your V8..

Lots of people nowadays just waste money on smokes, alcohol or whatever it may be and dont think about saving when their young.. Trust me girls would be more impressed with you having a house offering security than a rev head V8 driver lol...

But yeah im not having a go at you or anyone else, Im just explaining what i think you should do .. And since as far as i can read there is nothing wrong with your VU.. So Why get a V8 anyways? .. unless it is to just waste money and "show off" .. Unless you need more towing power maybe? .. then just get your 4WD early?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
depends on how much money the OP plans on spending, but a V8 doesn't necessarily cost much more money than a V6.
If he wants to save for a house, then sell the VU and buy a Hyundai Excel for $1500

otherwise a V8 isn't going to cost much more than his V6
and not everyones motivation behind buying a V8 is to show off or impress the girls....

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Just wait a bit longer and then get your 4wd. I don't see the sense in getting a v8 now if you're only going to flick it in a few years for a forby.