Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

When t's Time I's Time

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
So my time is OZ is coming to an end with my visa being approved to the first stage, so now it's my shots and medical, then off to Canberra for a 15 minute interview. Then 4 weeks or less after that I will get my passport back with visa to go. 2 days after that will be on a plane.

I have found a place to stay (that's not a shed) for the last 8 weeks here. I am helping work on a few older Monaro's to pay for board (the bloke has 8 of them as projects). So a bit of Aussie history to get into before I leave.

So just need to sell the green VY and that's it - all done. Only have 1 car load of stuff left to my name and will half that in the next 3 weeks. It will be sad to let the VY go as it's a fun car to drive... but will find something to play with in the states :)

my final blood test here is in 4 weeks time and if less then 0.03 again I can be happy with that. It's as good as it gets for many prostate cancer patients that fail to return to zero. My 0.04 and then 0.03 is going in the right direction... so can be hopeful of the same or better next month.

The time is close :)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Some good news on the blood test and is <0.03 again. So if I get the same number in the states in October I can go to 6 monthly testing whilst remaining vigilant for any negative signs till the 2 years post op are up. So far so good. :)

I will be in Sydney on the 29th and 30th of this month for medical and Embassy interview and then if all going well fly out by the end of September.

Sold the green VY and went back to a VX on gas to leave for my son to drive and have sold everything else. Don't even own a computer anymore.

So inside 2 years cleared all debt (don't owe a penny to anyone) and sold everything I had collected over 36 years. Not found a home for some of the looms or switches - so have given them to a mate to peddle off at swap meets over the coming years.

Now to be honest I don't think I have felt happier. Satisfying. I feel healthy. Mind is working again. Emotions in check again. Not on any meds. It's taken time and help from many people and would not be here without it. A big thankyou to the well wishes and support on here - I big part of it. But my son takes the biggest thankyou - for not giving up on me as a dad. Thankyou son for becoming a man, respecting people and loving me with no strings attached - you may never know how good that can feel.

Shane.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just arrived in the states. Will take a few weeks to find my feet and pc to work with. The unrelenting adventure begins.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Exciting times ahead Shane. May good fortune always accompany you on your journey. Don't forget your friends at JC.

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
+1..............................................:beer chug:

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
I'd love to live in the US. Enjoy!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well finally found this thread. So much has changed on here :)

The Wedding in Flagstaff went well on the 22 October with the snow holding off. The 7000 foot made it hard to breath when lugging all the things up 10 flights of stairs though LOL. We had about 15 people around us for a sunset marriage and I only mumbled 5 words for the whole deal :)

3 days after returning from the wedding the new mother in law kicked us out of the house because I knew too much about everything (go figure lol) so we spent 2 hours gathering everything and headed off to a hotel for a few nights.

An unrelenting adventure it was - but geez. So the positive was we had our freedom from a controlling mother in law who had a pill issue and spent have the day asleep and the other half dazed. So glad to be out of that. A blessing it was.

So we end up in a place called Mesa in Phoenix at one of Theresa's fiends place on an air bed for a week. I cook for the family of 5 a stream of fresh veggies and Aussie type meals. They dont use a steamer!!!

We then move to the other side of Phoenix called Surprise to stay with Theresa's other best friend from school days and they give us their master bedroom for 2 weeks while we look for a unit. The house is huge with 5 bedrooms all with ensuites. We are blown away by this generosity and relax a little while we get over being kicked out of a place we expected to stay for 6 months or so while I wait for my green card.

the next weekend we find a nice 1 bedroom unit just over a mile from Theresa's friends place that we can afford and as luck would have it we score a ground floor unit the following week.

Theresa finds work and I can start playing with the Prius car while stuck at home. I cant open a bank account here until I get green card and that costs almost $2,000 Aust to apply for. The application goes in this week. :)

The good things so far have been I went to the snow on Christmas day and had hot chips for Christmas lunch! I spent New Years Day in Flagstaff too and woke to a few inches of snow on the car.

Been to Vegas a few times as the Prius only costs $30 for a round trip while cruising at 75 mph on the highways and avg 45 mpg. I got to do most of the driving out of the town.. I missed driving lots... But Phoenix is bloody scary at peak hour. Indicator - whats that... speeding - who cares.... 5 lanes yep - mad house. Major crashes every day. Wrong way driver once a week and often pissed. So you really have to be on guard all the time.

Life is good for now - I have not had my blood checked as yet... what I dont know cant hurt me right?? I figure I cant change the numbers so why worry about if for now. I feel fit and walk 2+ miles per day. My fitbit tells me I have now walked over 1,600kms from may 23 2016 to now. My resting heart rate is still coming down from being just below avg.

So plans for this next 6 months are to get green card and social security number so I can change my licence over and open a bank account. Then find a small house with bit of land so I can start collecting dead Prius cars :)

Then deal with blood tests if I have too. But for now I feel great and will live life free of negative controlling people.

I feel like I am a lucky man in 2017.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Good to hear your happy Shane. I posted on your Facebook to. Stupid thing decided to unfollow you so I had no idea you were even back on Facebook.