Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where can i buy a new ve sv6 2007 alloytec engine? 'death whistle' coming from my eng

brenaaaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Commodore
Hi guys,

i just got my car back from holden and they said theres this whistle noise coming from my engine, and they said its called the 'death whistle' and that i need a new engine or to get mine refurbished.

anyone else had this problem?

where can i buy a new alloytec engine from for my 2007 VE SV6?

thanks

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
What's a 'death whistle' ? I think I would be demanding that the Holden Dealer Workshop making the stupid and unqualified statement to explain in greater detail of exactly what it is they are referring to using their 'tech speak' !!

Calais-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, VE Calais-V Series II
Holmart has the engines. Can't say I've ever heard of said 'death whistle' before

mydato

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE, 28 Model A Pickup
What a dumb ass. That guy that told you this needs his head rearranged or needs to find a new job. Most probably both. Go back in and ask for a real explanation. Lets hope that rocket scientist had nothing to do with diagnosing nor servicing your car, clearly he is a retard.

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
it will most likely be coming from ur timing chains. the 07 had trouble with timing chains. did ur car throw up any codes. i got a whine from mine. and its up front in the middle. but not a whistle. i never go to holden pop to ultratune in pakenham and ask to speak to cameron he is great mechanic and owner manager and can tell u what it is... holden dealerships can be good sometimes. but rip u off big time too.. any chance u can video the engine noise and send it up here. would help my whine is the loudest when its cold. but after about 15 mins gets quieter. its coming from a bearing where the timing chain is. am getting mine fixed when i get my chains done. if u want to isolate its none of the pumps.. AC, power steering water pump ETC...anything thats the belt runs. just remove ur belt and start the car just remember which way belt goes back on. if the noise is gone without belt. then at least u have a area to check. my repair for timing chains and bearing is around $3000 or just under.

if you are gettting new engine which i doubt....
holmart has them
http://www.holmart.com.au/online/prod376.htm most mechanics will charge about $1000 to drop it in.

Last edited:

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Become friends with a Ninja then go back to Holdens and ask your new friend to give that fella the 'Death Touch'. If your Ninja friend has any mechanical skills, then bonus, but if not, collectively you should be able to source a reputable mechanic for a second opinion. I know if someone said I needed a new engine, I would be getting 7-8 'second' opinions before splashing that kind of cash.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Hi guys,

i just got my car back from holden and they said theres this whistle noise coming from my engine, and they said its called the 'death whistle' and that i need a new engine or to get mine refurbished.

anyone else had this problem?

where can i buy a new alloytec engine from for my 2007 VE SV6?

thanks

Name & Shame the Dealer and the boofhead so called "Mechanic"/moron I say..... WTF is "death whistle" supposed to bloody mean, demand a detail explanation, in writing from the fcuktards.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It's easier to tell you it's got a death whistle than to explain how a dodgy batch of timing chains made their way into the early VE alloytecs and you need to spend 2 to 3 grand replacing them because it's not their fault it's their suppliers....
Still go and ask for a proper explanation not that load of crap

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I just don't get this dealer, if it is the common timing chain problem, it is still way cheaper to fix it than get a new engine.