Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

where can i get a truck horn installed at

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Wrong country, we dont have fast and slow lanes, both have the same speed limit.
Depending on posted speed limit, right lane on freeway is only for overtaking vehicles in the left lane that are going slower than the posted limit. Sorry to thread steal!

Regarding the truck horn.......I didnt think it was legal to put something so loud in a car; as its use as a warning device may not be effective as it may stun the recipient into a state of shock, rather than alert them, as well as urban noise requirements etc....not sure why it is legal in a truck to be that loud(maybe its a size thing).

There are some people who love sitting in the overtaking lane doing 90kmh in a 100 zone.

Even after flashing the high beams and honking your horn... do they move... NO WAY! That is when I would flick the switch from STOCK HORN to MEGA ****ING LOUD AIR HORN!!!

I do understand your point about the horn being primarily used as a warning device but in my experiences when I have used my horn in such circumstances the other driver appears to be in some sort of 'wonderland' and pay no attention to it.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
because its a way for a truck driver to say "GET THE F*CK OUTTA MY WAY OR YOURS CARS GONNA GET TOTALED" effectively :whistling

irrelevant for small cars :p

Dam right, I just hope they never have to use it :whistling

VT1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive series 2
There are some people who love sitting in the overtaking lane doing 90kmh in a 100 zone.

Even after flashing the high beams and honking your horn... do they move... NO WAY!
My point exactly thats one thing that gets me p***ed, apparently it is legal to have the truck horn in the car as long as it does not play a melody according to a sargent at glen waverly police station :p

veeque92

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman SeriesII 5.7
I got defected when i had the air horns on the VQII but the horns werent a problem as they werent musical. He asked are they musical horns, I said no and he went no worries and just defected me for what he pulled me over for without even checking the horn.

VT1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive series 2
I got defected when i had the air horns on the VQII but the horns werent a problem as they werent musical. He asked are they musical horns, I said no and he went no worries and just defected me for what he pulled me over for without even checking the horn.

did u have that for ur horn or did u have a standard horn aswell?

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Given that its difficult to reason with anyone of the mentality that wants to put a truck horn in their vehicle........do as all a favour.......leave the existing horn there and have a switch where the loud horns can be switched out for suburban use.
Scenario: person about to step on road in front of car, quick 'toot' may alert them to look. Sonic blast with truck horn from non-existent truck possibly would stun them into tripping over on the road and you collecting them.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Maybe a sonic blast is just what they need... just to remind them to look before they bloody leap across the road.

Why do I say that? Cause I have hit a pedestrian before and some people just dont get it when it comes to me honking the the horn. They just think you will stop in time and everything will be ok but it never is. I had a mate drive my car home because of that stupid idiot due to my state of mind at the time. Not to mention the fact he was taken to hospital with severe concusion and bruising to his lower left leg. Lucky to be alive if you ask me.

Maybe next time someone starts honking the horn he well listen? Some how I think not.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Heard a traffic police instructor on the radio this morning fielding questions from the public and one was about this very same topic. (S.A.)
His words were, "it is not permitted to install any other warning device other than supplied as original equipment to a motor car". He went on to stipulate that "air horns" were not allowed.:cry: to be wired in to the horn circuit.

Wouldn't mind a set of them 'train horns' in my set of wheels though, sure could do some damage !!:thumbsup:

Pablo

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
as long as you use them within reason i dont think the victorian police down here are too worried about them.

but they do pick on the musical variety thou.