Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where have all the Commodores gone?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The interior parts that break on VEs can't be bought new and never will be available.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes there are parts to keep them running but once certain parts break its either try to glue them or pay 10x what they were new from a wreckers. And even then some of the rubbish wreckers are selling is ridiculous prices for parts that are broken.

Been the problem since cars were invented.....Either find the parts privately, or be held to ransom by other sources, like wreckers.....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah exactly but when a plastic part becomes so rare that the cheapest one is $800 SH it's pretty annoying.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have my stash of NOS switches because I've learnt from owning a VR that aftermarket gear is just plain rubbish.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah exactly but when a plastic part becomes so rare that the cheapest one is $800 SH it's pretty annoying.

Actually I have told a little lie, over keeping my cars running...

I have a 6 cyl Centura here and once the front rotors are below minimum thickness I am screwed....You can't buy brand new rotors for them.....I do have 2 2nd hand sets here, but that's it.....New rotors haven't been available for years...

Finding 2nd ones is bloody difficult.....I know where 1 Centura is sitting in a paddock which I have to enquire about and I've been told of some in Tassie that are sitting in a paddock...

Upgrades are available, but that's another story...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have my stash of NOS switches because I've learnt from owning a VR that aftermarket gear is just plain rubbish.

And this where "smarts" come into play....Get stuff now if you are time poor.....Saves headaches down the track

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
My only contribution to this thread past what has been said, is higher fuel prices also impact keeping the car.

SIDI V6s are pretty good on fuel for what they are but even then, turbo petrol/diesel 4cly mid size SUV uses that much less again e.g. anything VAG, Kia/Hyundai, or Hybrid Toyota's

Once the cars all start getting to 150-200 kms and need money spent to keep things working, and you look at the fuel bill, it's just easier to trade it in, where then as others have said some P plater will thrash it or wall it, and poof they all start disappearing
The VE series one without the SIDI is fairly fuel efficient. I used to get a bit under 9L/100kms in mine doing the daily to work and back.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
One thing I want is a clockspring but at $500 IIRC it's a big investment.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Jesus Christ, I'm getting anxiety reading this thread. ???? So glad I sold my VF last year, I've dodged a bullet according to you lot. Thanks very much guys.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Yes there are parts to keep them running but once certain parts break its either try to glue them or pay 10x what they were new from a wreckers. And even then some of the rubbish wreckers are selling is ridiculous prices for parts that are broken.
Like genuine VQ hubcaps and level 3 clusters. I have a few stored but the current prices are ridiculous compared to even 5 years ago. And original wheels look pretty crappy without hubcaps, and the car's undrivable without a working cluster.